27

CHAPTER 27

"Has anyone seen Asher?" Raffi asked irritation in her green orbs. "He's meant to be on a patrol but hasn't turned up."

Aiden scowled and tutted. "He's not very reliable. He needs speaking to."

"You just hate him because he flirts with Jamie." Nickoli bopped him on the nose, smirking.

"That too." He pouted, folding his arms over his chest.

Rolling my eyes, I said "Maybe he's just late?"

"His patrol was an hour ago." Raffi deadpanned.

"Really late?"

Raffi snorted and cocked a hip. "Dozy." She peered at me closer. "Are you ok? You look tired."

She was right. This morning when I'd woken there had been thunder-grey bags pulling at my olive eyes. The night had been restless for me, another dream haunting my mind.

This time, a figure stalked up to the pack, trouble looming over his broad shoulders like following soldiers. His white hair was darkened with ash and his face brandished with bruises and scars...

"I'm here!"A voice pulled me out of my thoughts. Asher skidded into the room, a box in his hand.

"Where have you been?" Raffi demanded. "Your patrol was over an hour ago and you never even turned up!"

He cocked a grin. "Yeah, erm, I was getting this." He waved the box in his hands.

"What is that?" Raffi spat.

He turned to Aiden and I. "For the alpha and Luna!" He opened the box. Inside were two matching, claw shaped amulets. "Congratulations on your daughter's third birthday!"

Surprised, Aiden and I lifted out the amulets. "Thank you, er, Asher." Aiden inspected the amulet.

A smirk rested on Asher's features. "It's ok. A simple gift."

--- --- ---

I growled angrily. "Aiden!" His trousers are on the floor-again! A fire lit in my belly. I couldn't control it.

"What?" Aiden snapped, opening the door harshly. He too seemed irritable.

"Why is it your clothes are always all over the room? And for me to pick up!" I hissed.

He snatched his jeans from my hands. "No one asked you to pick them up! Maybe I wanted them to be there!" He threw them back to the floor.

"Yeah! Right!" I snorted, putting my hands on my hips. "You just don't consider anyone else!"

Chase popped his head round the door. "Guys?"

"Get out!" Aiden and I yelled in unison.

He scowled and disappeared.

"I do consider others!" Aiden spat, squaring up to me. He was at least a head taller than myself. Dark navy discs of tempestic anger, his eyes glard into mine- he was trying to be my alpha. "I'm an Alpha it's what I do!" He growled.

"Guys!" Chase snapped again. He put his hands on his hips. "Your daughter is trying to have a nap and you two are squabbling like children!" He pushed up apart. "Now stop it!"

Taken aback, I stared at him. Then I sighed, as if flattening my hackles. "You're right. I'm sorry." I muttered.

I left the room swiftly, not wanting to be around Aiden for long. Another argument was surely brewing. As I skipped down the stairs, I felt Asher's amulet tug at my neck and thud against my chest like a heartbeat. It felt hot on my skin, as if it were burning with its own entity.

"Oh hey, beautiful. How you doin?" Asher smirked as he walked into me.

Still fuming lightly, I replied. "Fine." I managed through gritted teeth.

He frowned. "You and Aiden been arguing?"

"How did you know that?" I demanded. Surely we weren't too loud... and most of the walls were nearly soundproof.

He raised eyebrows and looked away. "Just guessing." He placed an arm on my shoulder and brushed away a strand of my hair. "Look it'll all be ok... I'm here if you want to talk."

His grey eyes were veiled, as if he hid something behind a mask of grins and flirtations. But I couldn't help but feel drawn to them- steely, glinting like a sword and strong like stones.

Blinking, I jolted away. "Yeah. Ok." I smiled lopsidedly before moving away to the kitchen. The hairs on the back of my neck prickled as I sensed him watch me go, his eyes never leaving me.

CHASE'S POV.

I knocked gingerly on the sterile door.

"Come in." Julien called from the other side. "Hello Chase, are you ok?"

Nodding, I bit my lip and screwed up my nose. "Y'know the amulets that Asher gave Jamie and Aiden?"

"Yes..."

I sighed and ran a hand through my floppy mess of blonde curls. "Well I think... I think I saw them glowing, bright gold at the tips."

"Glowing?" The Doctor's wise eyes lit up in interest. "That is peculiar..."

"Can you explain it? I'm sure I saw them glowing just now... but I suppose I could have imagined it..."

He shook his head. "No, I don't know how to explain it... but I will look into it." He opened his laptop. "What were they doing when the amulets started glowing?"

"Arguing." I told him. "I've never seen them argue before... it was weird..."

"Weird indeed..."