Werewolf Forest::Chapter 16

Ok, I decided to be nice since I've got nothing to do today; I thought I might as well post. Ok so same rules apply, there's no guarantee for the next chapter; I'll upload it sooner or later. Hopefully sooner but who knows? So go read and enjoy! Oh and I better be getting some serious votes and comments!!! =P

~Alex

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It had been just yesterday when Elli had told me of her past. Thankfully, nothing had changed between us; there was no awkwardness or tension to speak of. If anything, we were even more comfortable around each other.

It was the late morning, no later than noon, and I was walking through the woods. Walking the trails was always therapeutic for me, the sounds of the birds chirping soothed my mind when it was troubled, the cool, fresh air caused my heart to stop beating quite so rapidly when I was stressed or angry. The forest had and always will be my true home, my sanctity.

The sound of overjoyed laughter took me out of my thoughts. I followed the sound to a large rock that stuck out of the ground like a cliff. As I approached the sound got louder and louder. I peeked over the little cliff to see that girl...Bailey I think...rolling in the brush with three wolf pups. Real timber wolves, not werewolves. The mother wolf was sitting at the opening of the small cave that the rock cliff had formed, looking lovingly at the pups and the girl. Bailey had a look of absolute joy on her face, one that would belong to a young child on Christmas morning.

She turned around, still smiling gleefully, with the pups climbing all over her. Her eyes locked with mine and her smile immediately faded. The wolves sensed her change of mood and turned to stare at me. The pups looked at me with confusion while the mother looked at me wearily, the hair on her back beginning to stand up.

"Wh...what are you doing here?" Bailey stuttered.

"I was taking a walk and I heard you laughing..." I looked over at the mother wolf remembering how she had looked at Bailey. "Why do they except you like that? Isn't she worried you'll hurt her pups?"

Bailey looked shocked. "I would never do that!"

"I didn't say you would. It's just that...mother wolves tend to be really protective of their pups. I'm just surprised she lets you play with them like that."

I took a step forward and the mother wolf growled at me in a warning to stay where I was. Bailey got up and went over to the wolf, placing a hand on her bristling neck and whispering something to her. The wolf immediately relaxed and sat back on her haunches.

"Do you come out here a lot?" I asked her.

"Ya...pretty much every day." She looked down and smiled shyly. "Can...can you not tell anyone please?" She bit her lip and looked up at me thought her long eyelashes.

"Not if you don't want me to...but why don't you want me to?"

"It's just...I don't know..." She huffed and sat down. One of the pups immediately hopped into her lap and she began to stoke its small back. "It's the only place I feel comfortable, like my own little sanctuary, and... I don't want anyone taking that away from me. And I just don't like people knowing what I do all the time."

I nodded and sat beside her. "Can I ask you something Bailey?"

"You can ask but I won't guaranty I'll answer."

"Ok well...where are you from? How did you become what you are?" she opened her mouth to say something but I interrupted her.

"Same rules apply. I won't tell anyone of you don't want me to."