Going Deaf (Sam, Dean, Jody)

The idea of this chapter is not originally by me, I read something like this somewhere and really liked it, so I thought I'd do my own version. If this is your idea, please please tell me so I can credit you :)

----------------------------------------------------------

It started to vanish a couple months ago, after the car accident. The doctors said I might have problems with my hearing later on in life, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. I've hidden it from my brothers as best as I could because I don't want them to worry about me. They have enough crap to carry on their own.

I know I won't have it for much longer, so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. I've stayed with Sam and Dean everywhere I possibly can, followed them around to a point where it probably bothers them to be honest.

I've stopped talking, almost completely. I realized I won't miss the sound of my voice, but I will miss my brothers'. I want to hear them speaking as much as I can before I can't anymore. They keep asking me what's wrong, and they want me to talk, but I won't. And hearing them yell at me is better than not hearing them at all. They haven't noticed the fact that I turn on the subtitles when I watch TV now, or that I don't have to cover my ears when I'm using a shotgun. The small things go first, like the creaking of the doors in the bunker or the clanking of the keys when Dean turns on Baby. I never realized I would miss the sound of Dean snoring or Sam's pencil scribbling endlessly, taking notes as he reads new lore.

No one notices, not for awhile at least. It's only when we stay at Bobby's that someone figures out something is up. The five of us are at lunch, Sam, Dean, Bobby, Jody and me, when I find Jody staring at me. I look up inquisitively, wondering why.

However, she doesn't give me an answer and continues eating. When we're done and walking out, Jody calls out to me.

"Hey Bianca, why don't you ride with me?"

I know if I turn her down she'll realize something is up, so I have no choice but to climb into the front seat of her car.

The drive is silent for awhile, but I know it's coming.

I stare at her, to read her lips so I can hear.

"Bianca, what happened?" She asks quietly. "What's going on?"

She doesn't know about anything, any of it.

"Six months ago," I mumble. "Six months ago, we didn't tell you."

"Didn't tell me what, Bianca?!" She's upset now. She considers us her kids in a way, and she's very protective.

"We didn't want you to worry."

"Bianca!"

"There was a car accident. We were T-Boned in Louisiana. Dean and I got it the worst. We ended up in the hospital for a week. Dean broke a bone or two, but something else was wrong with me. The crash, I somehow burst both my eardrums. I went deaf for a few weeks, and then my hearing came back. But they said it would go away again, in a few years. So they focused on my other injuries more, like my concussion. But my hearing is starting to go again, but I don't want to tell Sam and Dean. I won't be able to hear them for much longer. It's bad Jody." Tears begin to drip down my cheeks at the thought of losing one of my senses. "And, they are going through enough crap as it is, I didn't want to burden them."

"Bianca, I am going to have a word with your brothers later, but for now, WHAT THE HELL?! How could you not tell me?! Why haven't you told anyone?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Suddenly a look of sadness crosses her face. "I know you are Babe, I'm not mad. I just wish you had told me so you don't have to go through this alone. I love you so much. But Bianca, we need to tell your brothers."

I reluctantly agree, they are going to have to find out sooner or later, and Jody can help this way.

As soon as we get back to Bobby's, we approach the boys together.

"Bianca has something she needs to tell you boys," Jody starts for me, giving me a small shove forward.

I clear my throat. "You know how I haven't really been talking all that much?"

They nod.

"It's because I'm going deaf already. I want to hear you talk for as long as possible. The car accident caught up to me. I'm sorry," I plead, hoping they'll understand why I've done what I have. "I didn't mean to push you away. I just wanted to hear you again."

All of a sudden they both hug me tightly, taking the weight of guilt off my shoulders.

"We'll learn sign language," Sam says loud enough for me to hear him. "It'll be okay."

"We'll get through it together," Dean adds. "We love you."