ı 38 ı Complications

Start from the beginning

He sighs, leaning back in his seat as he thinks it through. I know he knows that I'm right, and I can only hope he understands where I'm coming from. "It's just not fair, you don't deserve that Blair," he says quietly.

"I know," I whisper, staring at the road ahead of us.

"I wanted so badly to scrap the plan that we made, the one that involved Bonnie forcing memories of the tomb into your mind," Damon tells me. "I didn't want you to feel that pain again, after all you've been through."

I only give him a smile, trying to ensure that that although it was painful, it brought me back, and that's all that matters. 

"How did you know that would work?" I ask curiously.

"Believe it or not, it was Joel." Damon forces a laugh. "Such a bastard," Damon growls slightly, but I notice it.

"Well believe it or not, it worked. I think we owe him a thank you," I tell Damon, however he doesn't seem very pleased.

Damon turns to me so suddenly that the car swerves a bit on the road. "Excuse me!" he asks incredulously. "That sly sheep came up with an idea that hurt you!" 

"No, that sly sheep came up with an idea that saved me from myself. All I needed was a little touch of pain to make me want to do anything to escape it," I explain calmly.

"That wasn't just a little touch of pain, Blair. You were reliving the worst days of your life. That's not just pain, that's hell," Damon says flatly, his hands gripping his steering wheel tightly.

"Yes, I've been through hell and back Damon, but you know what? I came out stronger. I can handle it now, and Joel knew that. He knew that a little touch of hell could bring me back from the brink of it, and without that I don't think I would be here beside you right now. Hell, neither would James. Joel helped bring both of us back" I say.

"Why do you trust him so much!" Damon suddenly shouts, his enraged voice booming throughout the confined walls of his car.

"Why do you hate him so much!" I yell back, his anger sparking my own anger buried just beneath my surface.

"Because Blair, I've known you for all my life, been by your side, wanted to protect you, yet I just can't seem to compete with little Branson. Whenever you two are together you get along so well, like you've known him longer than I've known you," he shouts, finally admitting the storm cloud that was inside his head.

"Damon, Joel is my friend okay? He's my friend, but he is not my brother; you are," I say quietly, touching his hand gently.

He turns to me, his eyes glassy and wide. I know my words have gotten through to him, but I can also tell that he still doesn't quite believe me. "You guys have such a strong bond, and part of me envies that," he states, turning back to the road.

"Damon," I sigh, slightly heartbroken that he feels this way. Whenever Damon gets emotional, I get emotional, and that's very rare on both of our behalves. Although it appears it has become more common lately. 

"There are only three people in this world who truly know me, who have discovered every inch of me, who know me inside and out. That includes Stefan, James, and you. Joel may be a close friend, and he makes me laugh, but he doesn't know me like you do. Joel is a fun, free spirited guy, and sure we have lots in common, but when it comes down to it, there's nobody else I would rather talk with about my personal problems, than my own big brother." I smile warmly, giving his hand a squeeze.

Damon sighs, turning to me with a genuine smile, as if all his worries have been erased. "I guess I don't hate Joel," he admits quietly.

I let out a chuckle, shaking my head. "No, you don't. You just can't stand him because he resembles you. He's annoying, cocky, speaks fluent sarcasm, and acts violently," I explain.