ı 28 ı The Merge

˙ ˙ ˙

"Wanna hold you till the moon shuts down, till the stars are on the ground"

˙ ˙ ˙

IF THERE'S ONE thing I've learned about Kai, is that he is a manipulator. Ever since our encounter with him yesterday I can't help but think about what the future holds for me. I can't tell if he was joking or not, if he actually did lift the curse he placed upon me. Or maybe he didn't remove it at all. Maybe it's still placed on Theo, or worse, the both of us. His words are engraved in my mind, distracting me from the big day ahead of us- the day Luke and Kai merge.

"You guys think you drained him enough?" Luke questions.

We sit in the study room of Whittmore, watching and helping Luke practice his magic in preparation for tonight. "Hopefully," James says, sitting beside me with Theo on his lap.

"Hopefully? You better be a little more than hopeful. This is my brother's life at stake here! My brother and no one else!" Liv growls, standing beside her own brother.

"If only that were true." I think to myself. In reality both Theo and my lives are at stake. Kai warned me that something would happen to me if he died, that his death would trigger something with the curse. Now I can only hope he removed the curse like I asked.

"What?" James's voice speaks in my mind, startling me. I look over at him in confusion, when I suddenly realize I did it again. I accidentally communicated my thoughts to James in our telepathic link without meaning to. Sometimes I get confused of the difference between my thoughts to our telepathic communication.

"Did not mean to send that thought into a message," I say awkwardly, looking away.

"Blair."  I can hear him scolding me in my mind. "What aren't you telling me?"

"I'm not hearing any witch chanting," Damon says as he strolls into the room, allowing the conversation in our minds to take a pause. "You better be on your A-game tonight Parker or you're screwed," he says bluntly causing Liv to scowl.

"You better hope he wins or I'll personally see to it your life is a living hell," Liv threatens.

"Bite me." He rolls his eyes. "Not like I'm not going there some day. Might as well give me a taste of it now." He encourages, playing with her anger. Any other day I would be on the edge of my seat, interested to see where this is going but today I'm not in the mood.

"Alright, everybody calm down," Alaric announces, walking into the room. "This is Kai we're talking about. We need to be serious about taking him down." 

"Serious as in 'let's watch You-tube tutorials of witch craft' or serious as in 'let's capture my sister and torture her in hopes of torturing Kai' serious?" Damon sneers, glaring at Alaric.

"Damon-" I try to stop him, knowing where this is going but he waves me off.

"What are you talking about?" Alaric questions him, standing cautiously away from my vampire brother.

"Don't play stupid with me Alaric. I mean, I know you're usually pretty good at it but today I'm gonna need you to take on the smart role for a change," Damon retorts, his tone growing furious.

Alaric sighs, giving in. He knows my brother won't back down. "Listen, it's not what you think," Alaric begins, but that's not good enough for Damon.

"Oh really? Because I think you captured my sister, locked her up and planned to torture her in hopes that the link between her and Kai would cause Kai pain too. Hell, maybe you even planned to kill her just to kill Kai! Two birds with one stone am I right?" Damon bellows, standing several feet from Alaric.