ı 02 ı Restart

˙ ˙ ˙

"Back from the edge, back from the dead. Back before demons took control of my head"

˙ ˙ ˙

I SEEM TO have lost track of time whilst wrapped in James's embrace, everything around me mixing into one giant blur. For the several long minutes that I'm in his arms do I forget about everything.

I forget about the people standing around me, about the other side collapsing. Most surprisingly, I allow my brain some ease through forgetting about the deep heart ache in my chest from Damon and Bonnie's death. Just by James's gentle touch and warm embrace am I able to forget these things, as he eases the pain of my aching heart.

As I rest my head against his chest, I can't help but hear the faint sniffles of cries from Caroline and Stefan who are still here, along with Joel. I don't know how long I've been in James's arms, but all I do know is that I never want to leave. For now this feels real, and for now I've slowly started to accept the fact that he's alive again. I fear if I move or change anything in this moment, it will all disappear.

At first I don't even realize the scenery has changed, as James picks me up so effortlessly. I open my eyes just a sliver to see the moon following me from the sky as we walk out of the forest. I take a glance at James from where he holds me in his arms, my feet swaying as he walks.

He keeps his eyes straight ahead, not wanting to wake me thinking I've fallen asleep. But I refuse to fall asleep no matter how much my mind begs me to out of fear that if I wake up, this will all become just a dream.

I don't even realize we've reached my car until Joel opens the back seat door, allowing James to place me gently in the back seat of my Audi. I open my eyes, determined to stay awake just as the group of them including Stefan, Joel, Caroline and James all turn to each other, discussing on where to go and what to do from here. To keep myself from falling asleep, I listen to their words.

"I told Logan and Christina that we would be back in Atlanta in the morning," Joel says, scratching the back of his neck.

"So you guys are just going to leave again?" Caroline asks with disappointment.

"We can't really stay here, there's no where for us to stay," Joel points out.

"We could get you guys set up in a dorm! Or get you all a house outside of Mystic Falls!" Caroline encourages.

"And then what? Wait until this anti-magic barrier magically disappears?" Joel questions bitterly. "I don't really want to live outside my home. It's either Mystic Falls, or Atlanta and Mystic Falls is out of the question," he says. To Joel and I, we've built a life for ourselves in Atlanta, and for us that is what we're use to. Neither of us is ready to move into another house all over again.

"We can figure something out!" Caroline pleads. "I don't want us to all get separated again."

"I can't stay here," Stefan speaks up. I can tell just by looking at him and hearing his voice he's still in shock. He's even further away than I am at processing it all, as I've made more progress than him. Just looking at him breaks my heart, as I can tell my twin is broken.

"Stefan," Caroline tries, but Stefan waves her off.

"I can't Caroline. I'm sorry," he says quietly. "I just need to get away."

James stands at the sidelines, quiet and listening, not exactly sure what to say. I notice him glance back at me every few seconds, his only concern in all of this being me. As I snuggle up in the inside of my car, my head rested on the leather of the seats, James walks over to me and leans inside the doorway.