Chapter 1

Daniel

"And that's how that poor parrot fell down the chimney!" Mum exclaims as she's finished her storytelling with Dad.

"Bloody hell woman, how have I not known this?" Dad replies.

"Well it didn't come into conversation." Mum says as she covers her mouth while she laughs.

We're all sat here in the dining room, me, Mum, Dad and my little brother Adrian. All this family banter goes out the window for me at the moment. As they laugh, hopefully not choking on our Christmas turkey as that would be a disaster, all I could think about was uni.

I was starting uni soon and I don't know what to get. All my life, all I really knew was theatre. All I thought was living my life in the drama department. But all that has been thrown into the bin as I remember the harsh facts that have literally been punched into my face through the years.

"You'll never actually be an actor you faggot"

"Die emo scum"

"Fat cunt, you'll never be happy"

None of that even compare to how much pain, how much bruises, I've gotten him into, for what being happy? I never understood why being friendly to other people made me look gay. It made me depressed so as I stumble along in the internet, I suddenly got interested into the concept of "emo".

Well that didn't help much for your self-esteem, right Dan?

As I remember all these bad memories, that I bottle up for too long, I suddenly thought of something.

What degree will make me look clever and employable? Law!

"Daniel, what's wrong?" someone says.

"Hmm?" I muster up, completely aware that I've spaced out again, which I do often.

"You seem a bit off son" Dad implies.

"Oh, it's nothing." I lie.

"Are you sure?" Mum asks and from the corner of my eye, Adrian is sending off weird looks.

"Well, actually Mum, I think I know what degree I'll be taking." I say, still unsure.

"Oh thank the heavens, what is it?" she says while clapping her hands like a child.

"Um, Law...?" I think I've made the wrong decision, oh well.

Silence.

"What?" I ask.

Mum and Dad look at each other while Adrian let's go of his fork in shock.

"Um" I hate awkward silences.

"Well, son, we all thought you'd be taking drama or acting or somewhere in the lines of theatrical arts?" Mum says with caution.

"Mum, I'll never actually be an actor, will I?" I say.

"Well, give it a sho- do what you please Daniel, it's your life." Mum replies.

"Go on son, we give you our blessing, good luck taking Law." Dad adds.

I stand up and walk away from the dining area as that was the last agenda for the Howell Family Christmas Time. I bid them a "Happy Christmas" and head off to bed, with confusion still filling up my mind.

- A couple of days later –

"Daniel, you need to go an hour ahead since Manchester's not a walking distance!" Mum exclaims from downstairs.

intertwined//phanजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें