The Start of Something Great

Lauren stared down at the text message she had carefully written out. She read it over and over and over, checking for errors in her spelling and grammar. She would come across a sentence and decide to edit it to make it more detailed.

Once she decided it was perfect, she sighed. Her thumb hovered over the send button.

She realized that if she sent this text, things could change. Everything could change. It wasn't certain what exactly would happen, but Lauren knew well enough that something would happen, whether it be good or bad.

She reread the message once more, just to be sure of herself.

Camila, I know you may be busy at the moment, but there's something I want to tell you. You are one of the most alluring people I have had the pleasure of knowing. You are smart, beautiful kind, talented, hilarious, and an overall perfect human being. Since the moment I met you five years ago, I fell. I love the way your eyes light up when you talk about your favorite things. Your smile is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. Your laugh is complete music to my ears, and I'd do anything to hear it. Your voice is just mesmerizing and probably is the only thing with the power to calm me down. You are absolutely fucking amazing. To basically sum it all up... I'm in love with you. I understand if you don't feel the same way. I just needed to tell you.

Lauren gulped and let out a shaky breath. She hesitated for a couple seconds, and hit send.

She sat patiently for 20 minutes, trying not to think about her confession.

"Oh my God, what was I thinking?" She asked herself. "This is going to ruin our friendship."

Her phone then began ringing, startling her. She looked at the caller ID and her heart nearly stopped. She hit answer, and Camila's voice came through.

"Hey, Lauren," she said.

Lauren looked down. "Hi, Camila."

"So uh," Camila paused. Lauren knew she was trying to think of what to say. "You really put some thought into that text, huh?"

"Yeah."

The two were silent. Lauren knew there would be awkward silence. She hated it, but at least Camila was trying.

"Did you mean all of that?" She asked suddenly.

"Of course I did. I wouldn't lie to you, Camz," Lauren said softly.

"I know," Camila said.

More awkward silence.

'God, Lauren, fucking say something,' she thought to herself.

"Lauren, can I come over? There's uh... something I need to say that I'd rather say to your face instead of over the phone."

"Y-yeah, sure. I'll see you soon," Lauren stuttered.

"Great. See you soon."

Lauren hung up and immediately ran to her room. She wanted to at least look good if Camila was coming over.
---
As Lauren was putting her shirt on, there was knocking on the front door.

"I'm coming!" Lauren shouted. She made her way to the front door and opened it.

Standing there, was Camila. Lauren's heart melted when she saw her. A smile formed on Camila's face and Lauren blushed.

"Lauren, there's something I wanna say," she said.

Lauren tilted her head to the side. "What's that?"

Camila opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She kept starting sentences, but would stop, thinking about her words. She seemed to be in deep thought.

Camila met Lauren's eyes and suddenly went silent. Lauren raised an eyebrow.

"Camz? You alright?"

"I... You know what, fuck it," Camila mumbled and grabbed Lauren by the collar of her shirt, pulling her forward.

Right as their lips were about to touch, Camila stopped, suddenly feeling hesitant.

Lauren felt more than surprised, and unsure of what exactly was happening. Camila looked into Lauren's eyes.

"C-Can I?" She asked quietly.

"Yes," Lauren replied in the same tone.

Camila lifted a hand to Lauren's cheek and licked her lips. She pulled her forward, connecting their lips. They both let out a sigh of relief.

She put her arms around Lauren's neck, pulling her closer. Her heart was pounding so hard she was sure Lauren could hear it.

After about 10 seconds, they pulled away and leaned their foreheads against each other.

"Lauren?" Camila said.

"Yeah?"

"I love you too."

Lauren smiled. This could definitely be the start of something great.