bonus 03

A/N: Better late than never! 4th bonus still coming out next Saturday.

That Friday night, I stand in my closet rifling through dress options, thinking very hard.

Allison is sitting cross-legged on the floor, alternating between helping me with my dresses and keeping up with the steady stream of messages on her phone. Her hair is more impeccably curled than usual, her fingers a newly painted white. But more importantly, she's been glowing ever since her date with Liam.

"Allison, this is important," I tell her, sliding another dress to the far side of the shelf. "I don't know what to do."

She sets her phone down and purses her lips at me. "I think everyone's going. Liam and I for sure. But I'm sure Spencer will stay home with you if you want."

I don't want to stay home. It seems wrong that I should feel too trapped to leave the house and go to Aquino High's Friday night party. And yet I can't see myself pulling up into Taylor's driveway, getting out of my car, and walking up to his front door without something ending in a disaster. I haven't talked to him since the last time we sat at a party together, him smoking a cigarette and me trying to find closure. I realize now that I'll never find closure, and the more I seek him out the worse things get.

"Obviously I feel like you two need to put some distance between each other," Allison continues. She's back on her phone, biting back a smirk as she types. "I don't even know if anyone's going to show up to this party. Everyone kind of hates Taylor now."

I want to feel bad about that. I really do. After all, it's my fault that I exposed him, rejected him, and left him alone. But I know I can't blame myself. He did this to himself, and he tried to drag me down with him. I did what I had to do to save myself.

"I'm sure people will go," I say. "It's an opportunity to get drunk and have a party without getting busted. You know Taylor's parents don't care."

"Yeah." Allison stands and plucks a dress of my rack. "I'm going, but it's totally up to you if you go, too. Can I borrow this dress?"

"Yeah, sure."

Grinning, she does a little spin so that the skirt flares and then steps outside of her closet. Just as I think she's left my phone, she pokes her head back in and says, "Erika? Let me know if you need anything."

I nod, and then she's gone, her footsteps pattering down the hallway as she hurries back to her room to change.

I sit down on the carpet and lean my back against the wall, studying the sleek skirts and swishing fabrics in front of me. All I have to do is put one on and drive a few minutes to Taylor's house. I already know I'll feel strong and powerful, because I was the one who finally left him. But despite my jaw-dropping dress and the confident swagger in my strides, I don't know if I can hold myself together.

My phone buzzes. Spencer.

Coming to the party? I'm already there.

Groaning, I stand. Now I have to go, if I want to have any semblance of a social Friday night.

It doesn't take me long to change, and I don't spend much time on my makeup or hair. It's dark in the house, nobody's paying attention, and I couldn't care less what Taylor sees when he looks at me. Then I get in my car and drive, forcing myself not to look in the rearview mirror and see the cozy evening in bed I'm leaving behind.

Allison was wrong—cars line the street approaching Taylor's house, and I have to park in front of his neighbor's yard and walk. I can't help feeling a little rush of excitement despite the fact that I'm at Taylor's house. All it takes is the bass of the music and my friends around me for me to feel total bliss.