041. The Ultimate Betrayal

At Aquino High, sometimes you just need a break from everything.

I want to run away and never come back to Aquino High, but I have no choice to make my way to fourth period and sit down in the same seat I always do.  Both Celia and Spencer watch me as I barely endure the lecture, but neither of them dares to say a word.  Maybe they don't want to be seen associating with me anymore, or maybe they're just too scared to hear what I have to say.  Either way, I feel more alone than ever.

After school I jog to my car, shielding my head from the rain with my physics textbook.  I avoid eye contact with everyone, even the freshmen who probably haven't gotten wind of the latest development of drama yet.  I've almost made it to my car when a hand comes down on my shoulder.  Whirling around, I see Taylor standing behind me, the rain causing his jet-black hair, plastered to his forehead, to look even darker than usual.

"Congratulations," I say bitterly.  "You don't have to pretend we aren't dating anymore."

He rakes his hand through his hair, successfully managing to make it look even messier than before.  "How did that happen?" he asks.  "You weren't filming, were you?"

"Do you think I'm psycho?  Obviously someone recorded it.  My blackmailer.  Her name is Brianna by the way, and she obviously hates my guts."

We continue walking to my car; he takes my textbook and holds it over my head for me so my tired arms can take a break.  "It's not the worst thing in the world that everyone knows," he says quietly.  "People will get over it eventually.  I doubt you'll lose your friends."

"Of course I will!  Brynn's probably so mad right now, even Allison.  Never mind that they've both moved on—I can't just go around sleeping with their exes."

"Allison and I were never officially a thing—"

"Shut up.  You can argue it however you want.  It's not a bad thing; you're not even related."  Frustrated, I yank open my car door and throw my backpack in the backseat.  "I just want to go home and bury myself in my blankets."

He tosses my physics book on top of my bag.  "You going to Liam's party tonight?"

"You'll never catch me at a high school party again, much less one of Liam's lame get-drunk fests."

For a second Taylor watches me climb into the driver's seat and then buckle my seatbelt, but when I go to close the door he stops me.  "I think you should go," he says.  "If you hide people will only see that you're affected more.  You're essentially letting Brianna and Liam win."

I frown, but I can't deny that he has a point.

"Go home, freshen up, and put up your sexiest dress.  I'll meet you at his house at eight."

"Taylor—"

"I'm not taking no for an answer."  He shuts the door before I can reply, mouthing through the window, "Be there."

Clearly, I don't have a choice.  Shooting him a reluctant thumbs-up, I start my engine.

I don't stay long at my house, because I know the longer I stare at my bed the more welcoming it will look.  Instead I fix my makeup and throw on a black minidress before slinging my backpack over my shoulder again.  On my way out the door, I call Brynn.

"Can I come over to your house to work on homework before Liam's party?" I ask when she answers.

"Shoot."  I hear rustling and then Brynn says, "Sorry, I'm actually not at home.  Um, I'll see you at his party?"