043. Back on the Brink

It looks just like the photo tucked in the box in my bedroom at home.

Cassidy's bright yellow Jeep pulls up to the sky-blue house and I freeze, my fingers just about to send a text to Spencer letting him know we're here. Being here brings back a thousand and one unwanted memories. Allison and Taylor. My fight with Spencer. Everything from last summer, all bottled up into one horrible flashback.

Why did we think going back to the same exact beach house was a good idea?

Cassidy kills the engine and she and Nathan hop out of the front, going around to take our luggage out of the trunk. I stay frozen as Brynn climbs out of the seat beside me and goes around, too. The month and a half between graduation and today was so peaceful, so perfect. I feel like walking into this house will change all that.

"Remind me who had the bright idea to come back here?" I ask as I finally open my door and join them by the trunk. Nathan's taken out all of our luggage and I pop the handle on my black suitcase.

"It's a lifestyle," says Brynn. "Replacing all the bad memories with good ones. Besides, we loved the area."

I'd be fine with finding new restaurants at the expense of a peaceful vacation. Still, there's nothing I can do about it now. I send the text to Spencer and carry my suitcase up the steps to the front door. Just as I'm about to knock it swings open, revealing Liam on the other side.

"About damn time," he says, taking my suitcase and pulling me into a quick one-armed hug.

"I know, right?" Cassidy comes up behind me. "The party doesn't start until Cassidy arrives."

Liam rolls his eyes and hugs her, too. I step further into the house and see Spencer and Allison already in the kitchen, slicing a watermelon. I sidle up beside them and Spencer drops his knife to give me a quick kiss.

"Poor Spencer was looonely without you yesterday," sings Allison.

"I was being a good friend and watching Cass play tennis. She made it to the finals."

"That's right I did!" Cassidy saunters up behind us. "Got a big fat trophy, too. Consolation winner. So much fun, right?"

"At least you're free from tournaments for the next three weeks," points out Allison. "You're always a winner in our hearts, anyway."

Spencer snorts. "Cheesy."

It's such a perfect scene: everyone chopping up fruit and laughing, not worrying about anything. I pull my Polaroid camera out of my messenger bag and hold it up. "Everyone get in the shot. I'm making an album for this summer."

"For your photography elective at Northwestern?" asks Allison. "Of course you're starting your work early."

Brynn and Liam, who are still in the foyer, hurry to join everyone else at the kitchen counter. Everyone's grinning, tanned, and happy—exactly how I love to see my best friends. Maybe this summer will be legendary after all.

Just as I'm about to take the photo, wedges pound behind me. "Wait!" calls a shrill voice. "I'm coming!"

No way.

I turn around to see Celia jogging toward us, her blonde curls bouncing. She grinds to a stop beside Allison, wraps an arm around my sister's shoulders, and flashes a Hollywood smile.

"Wait a minute." I set my camera on the counter. "What's she doing here?"

Celia rolls her eyes. "Just take the photo already."