Silence

[Day #1] January 5, 2014

I could swear that I felt eyes on me but every time I turned around, no one was there. I shrugged off the creepy feeling and returned back to my book. It was an English assignment. We had to read the Titanic and write a report about it.

I scoffed at the part when Rose let Jack sit in the water while she stayed on the board. The board was big enough for the both of them! She was just freaking selfish. Like when she said she'd never let him go but then she pushed his head under the water when he died, I mean who even does that?

I threw the book down and sighed angrily. I wasn't angry at the book, well sort of, but this anger was more directed at my self. I was probably the only teenager who sat home on a Saturday night reading a book that wasn't due until a week from now.

I was pathetic.

I smushed my face into my pillow when I heard something from downstairs. I froze as I held my breath and waited to hear the sound again. You see, my parents were out of town this weekend and Josh was at a friends house so there couldn't be anyone here, could there?

After a while of nothing, I let out a sigh of relief. I went back to staring at the ceiling when I heard it again. It was louder this time and sounded as if it was coming from the stairs. My breathing became labored as I sat rigid on my bed, listening to the thunks coming up the steps. Gathering whatever was left of my sanity, I flung myself into the closet and sat there curled up on fetal position. I stayed as silent as possible as I listened. Each thunk made my heart race and I struggled to keep my breathing under control.

I heard the footsteps stop at my doorway but that's not when I completely lost it, when my door opened I almost screamed. I couldn't see through my closet but I could hear my stuff being rummaged through and the sound of drawers being opened. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out everything. It seemed as if hours passed before the noises subsided, but I still didn't come out.

[Day #2] January 6,2014

At some point in the night, I fell asleep in this dusty old closet and awoke to a spider on top of my nose. I let out a blood-curdling scream before covering my mouth. What if it wasn't gone?

I strained my ears to hear.

Nothing.

Slowly, I opened my closet door and stepped out into my room. It was spotless, not a book out of place.

I could've sworn that I heard paper being thrown.

I cautiously sat on my bed, but I didn't relax. I couldn't relax. I mean would you relax after something like that happened to you? I stayed put on the bed for quiet a while until my brother, Josh, popped his head in my room almost giving me a heart attack.

"Hey! so how did you like staying home alone?" he questioned.

"I hated it." I stated honestly.

"Why?"

"There was someone in the house last night Josh, I don't know who it was but they came in my room and-"

"Trashed the place." he finished.

My heart skipped a beat. "H-how did you know that?"

He shrugged before getting off my bed and leaving my room.

I was still confused about how he knew when I heard the front door open. I was still slightly paranoid even though Josh was home. My heart beat quickened when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. This time, my feet wouldn't move and I was forced to confront whatever it was at my door.