Liberté

2

Nine years later...

"I heard of a powerful witch, brother. She lives in a small town just outside of New Orleans." Elijah said looking up form his book. "Her name is Desirae Montcalm."

"Well then take me to her." Klaus said with a smirk.

***

Klaus and Elijah were outside Desirae's door. The hybrid glanced into the window and saw old furniture and bottles everywhere. Finally, Elijah knocked on the big wooden door.

"Can I help you?" The old woman asked hoarsely. " I'm very busy at the moment."

"We needn't but a small favor, ma'am. May we come in?" Elijah asked peeking inside the ancient house.

"I will not let your kind into my home." Desirae glared at both men.

"Sorry, how rude of me. My name is Elijah and this is my brother, Niklaus." Elijah grinned and gestured to his sibling who was slightly amused.

"You," the woman pointed suddenly frightened, "Get out of this town or I'll swear you'll regret ever coming here."

The brothers both looked at eachother when they heard the faint sound of screaming coming from behind the woman.

"Desirae, is there someone here?" Her eyes widened.

"I told you to leave."

"And I asked you a question. Is there someone here?"

"It's not coming from my house. That wretched girl is locked up in the cemetery." Desirae said sternly.

"If you will not let us in. Could you at least bring us to her." Klaus growled.

"I don't believe that's the favor you came to ask me for." She seethed.

"You've struck me with curiosity of this strange girl you speak of. Lead me to her and I won't ask you for anymore favors. I'm an Original, show some respect." The hybrid faked a smile.

The woman sighed with hate and walked out the door. She lead them through the fence into the foggy cemetery. She gestured to the tomb that said "liberté" on the front. In French, it translate to "freedom". How ironic.

"This girl is worse than any monster I've come across. She's a disgrace and very misbehaved. I'm warning you." She said. You could see the hate and regret in her grey eyes. She chanted a few words and then the stone door creaked open.

"What's her name?" Klaus asked following the woman, emphasizing the her.

"Name? Monsters like her don't deserve names. But, the folks in this town call her The Scream." She said, carefully walking down the damp steps.

"Why do they call her that?"

"You'll see."

Elijah and Klaus gave eachother worried and curious glances. They didn't know what was awaiting them. The way the woman spoke of her was as if she were worse than any evil thing on the planet.

There were all down the steps and the woman kept herself close to the stone stairs, whereas the brothers took a couple steps closer to a dark corner.