13. World Pauses in Shock as Hippie Mom Bakes Zucchini Bread

Start from the beginning

"Well, Andromeda, dear. Wolf and I are leaving."

"Leaving? I just got here."

"We'll be back later tonight," Rachel said, slipping a shawl from the back of a kitchen chair. "Wolf is my sponsor, but we're also dating. Pilot will stay with you if that's okay."

"Of course, Mama," said Andie.

"Thank you. Oh, by the way, Sterling called about a hundred times."

"I'll call her back. And what do you mean he's your 'sponsor?'"

"Chi Pets is going to sponsor my new radio show—Rachel Bank and Pilot the Psychic Wonderdog."

"You're going on the radio?" Andie said, aghast.

"In national syndication," said Mr. Windsong.

"But ..."

"We're late, Andromeda. There's zucchini bread on the counter, and Wolf's left something special for Pilot in the cupboard."

Pilot growled.

"Oh, and Pilot asked me to tell you that Sterling is about to ruin her life. Also, he says you need to keep him by your side while I'm gone." Mr. Windsong helped Rachel put on her shawl. "Yes, Pilot. I told her. No, I'm not telling her that. You should tell her yourself. I know you could talk to her if you tried. Bye, dear."

The landline rang.

"What? I mean, hello," said Andie.

"So you exist," said Sterling.

"I was just going to call you."

"You are too important now to return my calls, texts, or e-mails?"

"Don't be ridiculous ..."

"Don't tell me what to be. I needed you."

Andie checked the kitchen cuckoo clock. She had time to rescue Sterling from the airport and make it back for dinner with Oliver. "I'll come get you."

"I'm on the runway."

"So? You're the big star. Boss around the flight controllers. I'm sure they'll do what you want. Everyone else does."

"You know I'm not like that," Sterling said, sounding wounded.

"You're making a big mistake. I'm trying to help. Don't mess with your beautiful face. I love you the way you are. You don't need to do this for your career or to compete with stupid Gigi Gaines or whatever it is you're doing. Please, Sterling."

"I'm doing it, Andie. You have no idea what it's like to be me. I have no choice. It may seem like I'm a big Hollywood power broker, but I'm only a pawn."

"You do have a choice." Pilot edged toward Andie and began licking her hand. "Yuk. No. I didn't mean you. It's just Pilot wanted me to tell you ..."

"The captain says to turn off all mobile devices."

"It's your plane. The captain can ..."

"I can't hear you," said Sterling. "The engines are too loud."

"But Sterling. There's something I haven't told you."

"What?" said Sterling. "Oops. Gotta go. Bye."

"Ouch," said Andie. "That hurt." Pilot had nipped her. On purpose. He looked at Andie with those enormous eyes, colored a dark shade of judgmental brown. "What, boy? Sterling wouldn't have listened even if I told her the great and powerful you predicted she was ruining her life. If she wouldn't listen to her best friend, why would she listen to a dog?"