Part 26

My eyes opened when I felt someone gently brush their fingers from my forehead to my ear.
"I've brought you some dinner!"
I moved my sight to my left where Mike was led next to me, propping himself up with one arm to look over at me, and with his free arm he had outstretched towards me with his first finger still resting on my cheekbone.
"Thanks, I'm starving!"
Mike got off the bed and picked up a tray that was on the bedside table. He leant over to me and placed it on my lap.
It was spaghetti! My stomach flipped with the memory.
"Did Cody make this?"
"Yeah, why?"
"No reason!" I remembered back all of those years ago when this was the exact meal Cody made when Mike was apparently 'dead'.
"Nicole, if we are to get married you need to understand that I need to know the truth!"
Hearing him say we are to get married made me excited, but I was unsure. I would be making Cody isolated!
"I just remembered Cody making this meal the day I thought you died!" I lost concentration and stared at the food on the tray and I could feel sadness begin to overwhelm me.
Arms wrapped around me as the voice I had once thought I had lost forever brought me back to the real world.
"I'm right here Nicole, and I'm never going to leave you again. That is a promise and I will never let you get upset ever again!"
I didn't know what to say back, it was adorable and words couldn't describe how happy he made me feel. I leant up and kissed his cheek but he moved my chin so he could kiss my lips.
"You will need to pack a suitcase, make it warm clothes too!"
"Why, what have you done?"
He grinned then kissed me again, "it's a surprise!"
"I'm not packing until I know where we are going!"
"Fine, I'll just do it then!" He smiled evilly at me knowing I was defeated.
"That's not fair! I want to know now!" I wanted to kick my feet like a stroppy child but the food was on the tray, on my lap.
"Eat, I'll tell you on the way!"
"You promise!"
"Yes!"
"Yay!"
Mike shook his head, "you act like a four year old sometimes!"
"But that's why you love me!" I blew him a kiss then stuck out my tongue.
He pinched my nose making me attempt to swat his hand away, "too cute!"
"Hey!"
Mike stood up and began to leave, "eat up, it's getting cold!"
"Fine!"
Mike closed the door as he left and I looked down at the tray with the bowl of spaghetti in the middle, threatening to take Mike from me again.
The fork circled the bowl as I played with the food, I sighed as I knew I had to eat it. 'What is the big deal Nicole? It's only pasta! What can it do to you?'
"Well it is making me uncomfortable with the memories it's giving me!"
'You heard Mike! He said he will never leave you again!'
"Fine!" I shoved a forkful into my mouth as my eyebrows furrowed, why was I repeatedly getting defeated today! My frown left and a smile of delight replaced it, this food was awesome!
Now my stomach was satisfied and I realised I had no banging headache anymore! However there was a slight pain on the side of my head. My hand reached up to it and I carefully touched it. My hand immediately came off and I could only think of fanning it to stop the pain.
"Ouch! Ow ow ow ow!"
"Nicole are you okay!" Mike ran into the room and ran to my side. "Don't touch it!"
"I didn't know it would hurt this much! How bad does it look?"
"It's just a small red bump!" He took the tray off my lap and put it back on the bedside table. He then helped me off the bed and pulled me close to him. "Get changed and I'll pack the suitcase!"
"Where are we going?"
"Do as I've asked then I might tell you!"
I sighed as I just knew he wasn't going to tell me until it was made obvious. I moved away and grabbed some random jeans and a tank top and disappeared into the bathroom.
When I exited I saw that Mike had the suitcase packed and my wardrobe was almost empty, which he was now closing.
"You ready to go?"
I need a jacket and shoes!"
He pointed across to the edge of my bed where a jacket and some converse were ready for me.
"I love those skinny jeans! They make your legs look longer! And that top shows off the size of your waist!"
"That's enough of checking me out! I'd rather get going!"
"You look so much more older and womanly!"
"Yeah, well a lot can happen in a few years!" I tied up my hair in a high ponytail with the bobble on my wrist. "What about my toiletries?" I felt relieved dropping that topic, I felt awkward with him talking like that.
I looked back at him and noticed he has had a haircut, his hair is shorter! He's still clean shaved like when I first met him but there's something else that is different, and it kills me not knowing what it is!
"I'll get them now!"
Mike left and gathered my toiletries and I just carried on watching him, I think I know what it is! His voice isn't as it used to be, it has more pain and regret in it. I feel as if he is a completely different person to the one I knew!
"I'll wait outside!"
I slipped on my converse and put the jacket on then rushed out of the room.
Cody bumped into me as I ran out.
"Hey Nicole, Mike told me you were going on a little holiday together!"
I grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the house with me.
"Cody, I think I don't love Mike!"
"Don't be ridiculous! Of course you do!"
"But he seems like a completely different person, not like the one I knew!"
Cody hugged me, that's one of the good things about getting close to Cody, he knows how to behave around me in different situations.
"It's only because he's suddenly back and you've not been with him for years!"
"I'm really confused though! What if I don't love him and I break his heart!"
"That can't happen! You never stop thinking about him!"
"I'm engaged to him, what if I have to postpone everything!"
"Nicole! Please, you're only scaring yourself!"
"Why are you saying all of this Cody? I thought you would be saying things to put me off him!"
"Nicole, because I know you so well I tell you the truth, I know your feelings are extremely strong for Mike and you are just overreacting! You have obviously told yourself possibilities to suit your mood! If I knew you didn't like Mike I would be kissing you right now!"
I tightened my grip around Cody as I felt stupidity hit me, how could I think all of that? I love Mike and we are getting married!

Author's Note:

I am so sorry I have taken forever to upload! I have been super busy and no time has been spared for me to write much for my story.
I hope you are enjoying Hidden Secrets and comment where you think Nicole and Mike are going xx
Vote and follow thank you xx