Part 30

Mike suggested we all went into the restaurant, two buildings down from the alley. We sat at a table in the far back of the restaurant in a reserved area, made private just for us.
"My boyfriend dumped me last month after being with me since high school! So I needed a break and came here for a week, and today is only my second day and some French bastard attacks me!"
"Aw Milly! What a prick he was!"
"Yeah! Anyway how dare you ditch me for four years and actually be alive! I need one hell of an explanation!"
I looked at Mike before I said anything to Milly, I needed his permission to tell the truth.
He nodded once knowing what my glance meant and so I told Milly assassins killed my dad and were after me and Mike was my protector and has been looking after me since, leaving out the part of Mike faking his death, but still telling her I was engaged!
"Wow, okay! I don't know what to say!" She looked at her hands as she fiddled with her nails, "so you shot people?" She nodded at Mike who looked at our hands together guiltily, "but to save her!" He nodded, he was behaving as if he was a child being told off.
"That is scary, hot and adorable!"
"Milly, I also shot people!"
Her eyes widened as she switched her head to me. "What? I mean, what!"
"Why are you telling me off, I had to!"
"I would never expect you to do such a thing, you were an angel!"
"She still is!" He traced his thumb up and down mine whilst he upturned the corner of his mouth at me. I fluttered my eyelashes as I blushed back at him but when I looked at Milly I looked down at the table like I was being scolded and avoiding her glare.
"I know that's cute and all but Nicole you know how...how...I can't even put it into words how awful it is! Wait I just did! But someone's blood is on your hands!"
"Mike was going to be killed, what was I supposed to do!"
She threw her hands about in frustration, "I don't know, call the police?"
"He was being punched in his head with a metal knuckle bar! Are you being serious!"
Her eyes widened as she folded her arms and tightened them to her chest. "Really?" Her voice was more empathetic, not harsh and direct.
"Yeah!" Mike was rubbing his head as he thought back to that night.
"My god how scary!" She looked down at the table looking at the fork. "Do you know about your family Nicole?"
"Yes, my mum and grandma died at the exact same event I shot that guy!"
"Wow!" She picked up her glass and took a sip of her water. "I'm sorry about that Nicole, I know I should have been there for you more!"
"You were a great friend Milly, you gave me my space and I gave you yours!"
"You were a very respectful friend Nicole!" She gulped and hesitated by stuttering before she asked me, "was your grandma shot?"
"Yes, it was meant to be Mike. But I saw the laser on him and screamed at him to stop the car, he did and the shot missed him and got my grandma instead..."
"I'm sorry Nicole, if I could go back I would take it instead of her! You know that don't you!" I looked at Mike at his saddened eyes.
"It's not your fault, we were distracted!"
"Distracted? How?" I bit my lip as I squeezed Mike's hand.
"We were arguing!"
"Over what?"
"That doesn't matter!"
"Oh ok then!"
"Shall we eat?" Me and Milly looked at Mike and nodded.
We all had exquisite meals and some more talk, about where Milly was staying, the area which turned out to be dangerous, and Mike offered his spare room to her which she took without having to think about it.
"If you're not too bothered!"
"Oh of course not, what is better than two friends reuniting and being able to spend more time together and be so close that there's no chance of losing each other again!"
"Thank you Mike!" I hugged him as we all left to his car, Milly had been using taxi's.
"Oh this is fancy!"
"Yeah I love this car, best one I've had!" I chuckled as Milly got in the back and I sat in the front passenger seat.
When we arrived at the hotel, after making a stop at where Milly was staying to collect her things, we all carried a piece of luggage whilst Milly was amazed.
"This is somewhere I'd expect the queen to stay in!"
I linked arms with her, whilst carrying a little travel bag in my other hand, as we got in the elevator and up to our suite. Once we stepped inside she covered her mouth.
"This is gorgeous! I want to marry this place!"
Mike guided her to the spare bedroom and she collapsed on to the bed. "Love you already Mike, such a shame Nicole beat me to you!"
He laughed and left her room then walked up to me and pulled me to him. "Even if she met me before you did I would still only love you!"
"You are so soppy sometimes!"
"I know!"
"I'm going to the shop to get magazines and sweets, you want anything?" We looked at Milly as she stood in the doorway of her new room.
"No we're good!"
"Okey dokey!"
"Here!" Mike threw her the suite key which she caught.
"Thank you! Be back soon!" She left the suite with a smile on her face, I think she agrees with me about Mike!
I looked back at him and he picked me up so I wrapped my legs around his waist as he took us to our room, I rested my hands on his shoulders as he wrapped his arms around my waist.
"Can I at least say that I can't wait to marry you!"
I kissed his nose then grinned, "Nicole Reed! Yep it's perfect!"
He brushed his nose with mine then kissed me, he removed my hat and threw it somewhere and ran his hand through my straight hair, all the curls had gone due to all the wind today.
He knelt down so I was sat on the end of the bed and he kissed down my neck as he unravelled my scarf. He ran his thumb over my collarbone as I traced his spine beneath his top. He grabbed the back of it and pulled it over his head and discarded it across the room. He lifted off the jumper and held the bottom of my ribcage as my finger followed the shape of his shoulder blade and once again he brought his lips to mine.

***

I woke up lying on one of Mikes arms as there was a thudding on our bedroom door, I saw that Mike was awake too and had a gun in his other hand and aiming it to the door.
"Guys, guys you up! Nicole, don't ignore me!" Milly was shouting at the other side of the door.
Mike grunted as he returned his gun to under his pillow, then wrapped his arm around me to pull me closer, he kissed my collarbone, my neck then my jaw as I smiled at it tickling.
"This is important! Some guy told reception he is looking for Mr Reed!"
Mike sat up and I held his arm as he glanced at me. "Cody?" I mouthed it to him and his look of worry turned into a grimace, let's hope it isn't Cody then, and rather an assassin! As Mike doesn't appear too pleased with the whole Cody suggestion.
"Are you even in there? Can you say something!"
"Sorry Milly, I'll be out in a second!"
Mike got up and went into the bathroom as I ran to the wardrobe, I ran back into the bedroom wearing skinny jeans and a white tank top whilst tying my hair up in a high ponytail.
I unlocked the door and opened it to a displeased Milly.
"Why did you take so long!"
"I was getting ready!"
"Well a guy is in the reception waiting for confirmation to come up!"
"Did he give his name?"
"No, is there something wrong?"
"I'm not sure Milly!"
I ran to the front door of the suite and brought my eye to the peephole.
Mike came up behind me and waited for me to turn around.
"Nobody is out there!"
He spun on his heel and marched towards the phone. "Reception, I would like to know who my visitor is! Oh désolé, je voudrais savoir qui est en attente pour moi dans le hall. Avez-vous son nom? Est-il toujours là? Dod-il laissé quelque chose, comme un message? Merci, au revoir."
"Mike?"
"They didn't leave their name, but they left a note which is being sent up."
There was a knock on the door which caused me to step behind Mike as he froze, questioning it.
"My God you two! Someone is knocking on the door!" Milly ran past us as she went to answer the door, she opened it without checking who it was and a man entered. His hand held a metal bar and he swung it at Milly. She flew and hit the wall, knocked out and all I could do was scream her name! Mike pushed me back as he threw the phone at the man which he just caught and dropped. Mike then launched himself at him but the man was fast and the metal bar collided with his head. My hand trembled as I covered my mouth in shock and tears rolled down my face and my body became unresponsive.
The man stepped towards me and I fell down to my knees but he just grabbed my throat and pulled me up to my feet. He sneered as black dots danced across my vision and my throat burned, I heard him laugh deep in his throat almost as if it were a growl then the darkness took over me.