"Is it supposed to be this... empty?" Mae asked softly from behind me as we crouched low behind a shrub near the edge of the forest.

       "I don't think so." I whispered back as a guard walked past the entrance before disappearing around a corner. "Maybe there's something going on in their square. Let's go find out." I didn't give her second to register what I said before I shot out of the shelter of trees and headed straight for the village entrance. Mae stumbled quickly after me.

       "Emrie wait!" She hissed at me as I quickly jumped around the side of a house with her toppling on top of me just in time to avoid the guard walking by. "What the hell Emrie?! Give me some warning next time!"

        I gave her a sheepish smile as she brushed the snow off the front of her thick dress. "Sorry Mae." She ignored my weak apology, but shot me a scowl anyway as I shimmied around the back of the house.

       I peeked around the corner of the cold, stone structure to make sure the guard had passed before quickly sneaking my way to the next one. They were all squished together with very thin strips of ground separating the tiny shacks. Just big enough for her and I to squeeze through. I didn't know what I was expecting really. It was just like any other village- except for the wall.

       Maybe I was hoping the rumors would be true and that there were wolf dens and wolves themselves running around everywhere. But there weren't, and I couldn't help the disappointment that surged through me.

       We had just squished in the little crawl-like space between two houses when movement flashed in the corner of my eye. I quickly shoved Mae into the side of the house and slapped my hand over her mouth as one grumpy looking guard stormed pass the little alley with cursed words tumbling under his breath. I didn't let go of her until he exited the village.

       "Ow." She groaned and rubbed the back of her head as I stuck my head out into the main street. "We really shouldn't be here, Emmy." She mumbled as I turned around and walked towards the end of the alley.

       Bingo.

       There was a little space between the back of the stores and houses for a few small bodies to fit through. I shot her a victorious smile and wiggled my way into the little space. I could hear the profanities grumbled under her breath, but chose to ignore them. I was the one who persisted to come here. She had a right to be a little peeved.

       "It's not too late to turn back, you know." She tried once again to persuade me from the goal I was one-hundred-percent set on. I shot her an apologetic smile. The space was so small were nearly squished flush against each other, and I could practically feel the fear streaming off her.

       "No one has caught us yet. We can turn around and go home-"

       "One look. I only need one look." I honestly had no idea why I was so adamant about seeing him. It truly was a stupid idea. I wished I could have just stayed home on my little cot next to some cozy fire and be content with the image my imagination created of him- but I couldn't.

       It wasn't a fascination to see him. It was a need.

       "What happens if we get caught?" She whispered as we edged our way behind the houses. I honestly wasn't sure where we were going, but this way felt right so I was sticking with it.

       "Honestly? I have no clue. I'll probably just wing it."

       Her arm shot out of the air and gripped onto me tighter than any death grip she had ever given. I turned to her with a raised eyebrow. Her wide, terrified eyes stared back in anger. "You'll just wing it?!"