And yet, even I was beyond nervous.

       The King of the North.

       That's what they called him. No one knew his true name, but his title alone was enough to make most shiver. Even me, though I tried to hide that fact from the trembling girl a few feet behind me.

       The King and a few of his soldiers had visited the Lower Kingdom a few months ago, and word of his awe-inspiring beauty had reached even the darkest corners of the far North that made up our home. This little trip wasn't an attempt to meet him, or even fawn over him like many of the southern women were said to have done.

       Oh no, that would definitely lead to our death. We just wanted a glimpse of him. One teeny, tiny, little glimpse of that other-worldly beauty the villagers and townspeople seemed consumed by.

       But no one was ever dumb enough to venture into his castle- much less his territory- to find out. Except, you know, for me. And I dragged poor, dear, sweet Mae along with me. I wouldn't let her fool me though- I knew she wanted to see him too. I just could not get that rambling nagging out of my head.

       One look. Just one look.

       It repeated over and over again in my mind like a dark mantra until it was the only thought taking over my subconscious. I needed to see him, even if it was only one quick glimpse. That should have been enough to satisfy the persistent voice pounding away in my skull.

       Mae's death grip held onto the long lapel of my rather thin cloak as her frightened hazel eyes glanced frantically around the forest. I tried to shake off that same fear coursing through her gaze as it crept slowly into my chest.

       Just one look, just one.

       The small squad of soldiers were nowhere in sight, and I let the soft sounds of the forest slowly calm my racing nerves. I was never one to do something so- so dangerous. Usually Mae and I were in the same boat when it came to keeping our noses out of trouble, but I could not stop this desire inside of me.

       The tall, overhanging trees made a dark canopy of green that let little light through. It was only because of the thin strands sparkling on the ground that we could tell it was still daytime. The snow softly gleamed under those thin streams, and I marveled at the crystallized beauty of it.

       I loved the snow, the cold, the northern kingdom. It was my home. Where I was born- where I was raised. The mountain called to me more than any place ever had before. My heart ached every time we took a trip to the Lower Kingdom. There was no cold there, and it never snowed.

       Mae's cloak was thicker than mine, and I could feel it brush against me every time a little woodland creature made a noise and she took a step closer. I kept my back straight and my breathing even. I had to be brave for both of us. After all, it was my stupid idea to come here in the first place.

       Her grip on me tightened as the trees around us began to thin, and the snow under our feet grew deeper. We were reaching the edge of the forest- and the entrance to his village. The King of the North might have been our king on paper, but he hardly ever left the village surrounding his castle, and he more-or-less left the other towns to fend for ourselves.

       He cared for no one, and nothing apart from his people. The wolf-borne.

       I was surprised to find no wall surrounding the kingdom, and even more surprised when we spotted only a few guards sulking around the outskirts. As far as we could tell, the few houses near the entrance were empty, and besides the occasional guard, there appeared to be no one near.