13: Warning Lights

I posted! Nope, nothing is set at my new place so this fast an update is only going to be more erratic. You have been warned!  

***

Stephen Garrison was pretty sure he was going to get shot in the path they were taking. Of course, he knew he'd take a bullet for the brunette walking beside him but he also knew that it was only tempting in theory. The practical part of taking in a bullet was less than likely to him yet here he was, keeping to her side and stopping her from tripping and falling into the woods.

They'd left as soon as darkness fell. Bundled in jackets and holding torches that they only switched on occasionally they'd been trudging through the woods towards the reservation for hours now.

He couldn't help but feel like they were lost.

"We're lost, aren't we?" he asked.

He couldn't see her face but it was obvious she was biting her lip.

"No...I know where we're going," she muttered.

"We're lost." He said.

"We're lost." She sighed.

Billy watched as his son scarped down an entire brick of lasagna, chugging his huge glass of milk.

"I saw Sam today." He said.

Jacob nodded.

"He told me he brought Tulika around down for a visit." He continued.

Jacob's jaw slowed as his eyes flicked up to his father but then shrugged looking down again.

"Nothing you want to share, son?" Billy pushed.

"Dad, we just hung out, I swear." Jacob said finally.

"She's not to roam about freely in these lands, Jacob. She's in danger both here and in the woods. I thought we made that clear." Billy said calmly but Jacob's eyes flashed.

"Not safe here...as in with me...?" he let out a harsh laugh, "Right dad, because she is so safe with the..." his throat worked before he forced the word out, "the Cullens," he said.

Billy turned the wheelchair to look closely at his son.

"Jacob..." he began but he'd already turned crimson. "I didn't mean for it to come out like that." He said, picking at his ear. Billy raised his eyebrows.

"I see." 

"If you would just stop," I hissed as I ran to keep up with Stephen's long legged stride, "Some of us have short legs, you know. Not nearly enough gears to keep up with you!" I said.

I could literally feel Stephen rolling his eyes at me.

"Fine, Short-stuff, you want me to carry you the rest of the way? Oh wait, we're lost," he said sarcastically.

I glared at him, deliberately flicking the glare of my flashlight into his eyes. "Don't be mean. It's just more difficult to find the path in the dark. If you would just let me keep the light on..."

"If I let you keep the light on we'd be shot. Now point the light on the ground and see if you can find the parallel trail." He said.

"Oh, darn this, I'm calling him." I whispered finally.