5: Reunion Circus

The chapter that we've all been waiting for.

My hands are shaking out of excitement!

I don't know how you all will take it but I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed reading it.

Caitlin, I'm hoping you comment tons on this! (Just kidding! No Pressure! Love you bae!)

                                                                                 ***

I wandered through the huge house for nearly half an hour before I found myself in the kitchen.

Alice and Rosalie had gone out...doing something and I hadn't been invited. I tried not to take that personally seeing the fact that they were probably doing something about Prom and I wasn't nearly ready to take that challenge head on. I was also supposed to stay because when Edward showed up, he needed to see me, quick and fast, like ripping a band-aid off.

Stephen had had better luck. Emmett and Jasper were sitting with him squashed between them, looking slightly uncomfortable while he diligently listened to Emmett explain the 2005 version of whatever video game he had stocked. I wasn't invited for that either.

Lately, it felt like I was trying not to take a lot of things personally.

It was somewhat of a relief to be in the kitchen. It was steel and marble, cool and had the touch of one of those TV show kitchens where everything runs smoothly, unlike the real house kitchens, like back at home, where the toaster never seemed to work properly.

"I was wondering when you'd come in."

I jolted, whirling around to see Esme smiling softly at me from behind the counter. "Hmm...?" I asked.

"You've been walking around the house for so long...I could hear your footsteps everywhere." She said, returning her gaze to the plate in front of her.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"Don't be ridiculous; it's your house too. Although, I must say I was quite surprised when you kept going to that particular room and always turned back."

I sighed. For the time I was ghosting about, I'd probably found myself in front of Edward's closed door ten times and each time I felt like I had no right to be there. It was his space. I needed his permission to broach that boundary.

"You don't have to explain."

"I want to, but I don't know if I can. I don't even know if I understand anything myself." I said.

She patted the seats in front of her. "Why don't you come and talk to me; I may not be a therapist but talking usually helps." She said.

"Thanks Esme," I said hopping on to one of the swivel chairs in front of the stove. I watched her as she worked, moving around the kitchen with lightening speed as she gathered bread, butter, cheese, salami, all ingredients for a delicious sandwich.

"What happened when James was tracking me?" I asked.

She buttered the bread. "Well, from what I know, you gave Alice, Jasper and Edward quite the scare when you decided to take off with Stephen like that. It wasn't till we traced your cell phone when we knew that you had talked to the Tracker. They called Carlisle, and Rosalie and I in turn watched over Bella and her father. We waited for two days," he face faltered slightly, "When they came back; no one talked for hours...I could just tell by the look on Edward's face something was very wrong. You and Stephen had passed away but when they came to clear the evidence, both of your bodies were gone. I think that's what rattled him so much." She looked away as I swallowed.