Chapter 8: Friends & Foes.

As the rumours of war spread across the lands, Lexa sent riders with a request for each of the clans to send a representative to Polis to discuss the situation. All agreed to this bar one, Azgeda. Queen Nia send a message back to Lexa, "The inevitable can not be stopped!" She had now officially declared war.
As we all gathered in the throne room the atmosphere became tense. It was apparent that some of the clans had already forged their alliances, yet Lexa allowed each clan to have their right to speak. Some believed Nia's twisted truth about Costia and felt Azgeda was within their right to call for justice, others saw through Nia's pretense labelling her nothing but a warmonger.
Lexa called for unity in the matter to stop Nia's advances and her continuing dishonour for the throne of Polis. It was on this day the foundations of Lexa's coalition was finally formed. She was very clear on how the matter of alliances would be viewed, "If you support your Commander remain in this room. Those who don't are free to leave, we will meet again on the battlefield!" Lexa held her steely gaze across the room as the clans made their choice.
It all came down to politics, trade relations and geography. Those who supported Azgeda were either neighbouring clans or those fickle enough to fall for Nia's promises of positions of power should Azgeda overthrow Lexa. Boudalankru, Sangedakru, Delfikru and Ousekjonkru now stood with the Ice Nation. Each of these clans walked away from their Commander. Those who remained were, Trikru, Ingranronakru, Louwoda Kliron kru, Yujledakru, Podakru, Floukru and Trishanakru. The start of the coalition began with these clans, a semblance of unity out of the darkness of impending war.
Lexa stood from her throne and thanked those who remained. Warriors would prepare and armies would be gathered. The decision was made, we would march on Azgeda within the week. Lexa was not about to allow Nia and her forces anywhere near Polis. She would drive her armies to the lands of ice and rain death down upon Azgeda.

 She would drive her armies to the lands of ice and rain death down upon Azgeda

For the next few days Lexa stood strong in her resolve as Commander. Getting the war chiefs from the supporting clans to agree on battle tactics was a difficult challenge, but Lexa always held the attention of the room each time she addressed them. Ultimately, they respected her ability to listen, her adaptability and her sense of strength and honour. By the time the preparations were made all of the supporting clans were united in their support for Polis and each other.
We marched the the armies of the coalition clans towards Azgeda territory earlier than expected, hoping this would give us an advantage over Ice Nation forces.
Our scouts had moved forward to keep a watchful eye on our enemies as we approached Boudalankru territory. Riding side by side with Lexa, we spoke freely of what we now faced.
"As soon as we step onto Rockline territory they will attack, Heda."
Lexa looked at me aware of her intensions, "So be it. We'll set up our encampment behind the boarderlands of Rockline territory and ready ourselves for battle. When we take their lands, Azgeda will be next." There was no doubt in her voice, no lack of confidence.
"And what of Costia?" I asked.
A smile played upon Lexa's lips as she replied, "She will fight by our side. I couldn't stop her even if I wanted to."
Pausing for a moment, I pursued Lexa's feelings for Costia, "You love her?"
Lexa nodded, her answer simple, "Yes."
It was clear that Costia felt the same, but we faced dark times and war had no mercy for love.
"Costia is a warrior of that I have no doubt, she carries the fire of her people, but not all of us will return from this war, Heda," I warned.
Lexa glanced at me, aware of the point I was making, "You sound like Titus."
I smiled, "Titus is a traditionalist, I don't view the world in such a black and white way as he does Lexa, but what we face will have its consequences for all of us."
As we approached our destination, I hoped in my heart the tide of war would favour us and that those we loved or cared about in this life would be spared in the battles to come. To fall in love in a broken world was not always an easy path.