Chapter 4: Born For This.

After the conclave, Lexa taken to Polis Tower to have her injuries treated and to prepare for her ascension. It was many hours before anyone other than The Order of The Flame could see her. I thought about the conclave and how she had made her clan so proud. I'd wished her mother and father could have seen the powerful warrior she had become.
As we gathered in the throne room of Polis Tower I noticed that all of the clan leaders a part from Queen Nia of Azgeda remained for the ceremony. Her absence sent a clear message, Azgeda would not support a Trikru Commander. This was more than just a statement for the death of her nephew, this was about many years of disdain Azgeda held for The Woods Clan. The Ice Nation rarely showed an interest in the politics of Polis unless an Azgeda Commander was seated upon the throne. They governed themselves independently through a monarchy system of leadership, the only clan to do this.
The lack of Azgeda presence at the ceremony didn't seem to concern Lexa as she walked into that throne room. A Commander could choose whether they wished to accept The Flame publicly or privately, Lexa chose publicly. I stood  next to my father, Chief of Alexandria and his war chief Gustus. We were surrounded by the chiefs from all of the Trikru villages on this momentous day. Indra of TonDC was especially proud, she had known Lexa for many years and was close to her parents before they were killed.
We watched as a battle worn Lexa kneeled before The Flamekeeper. Like a true warrior she never let her pain show. Titus announced the start of Lexa's ascension as he held up The Flame of Becca Pramheda. He stood behind Lexa and used a small blade to make an incision in the back of her neck. I watched intensely as he uttered the words from a language I didn't understand.
The Flame changed, it became alive like nothing I'd ever seen before. Titus placed it upon Lexa's neck and it pulled it's way under her flesh. She flinched in pain as it seemed to begin to bond with her body, then suddenly stillness.
Lexa opened her eyes to reveal the girl that once was, yet different somehow. She had a knowing look upon her face, a sense of calm but also as though she was seeing the world through different eyes.

After The Flame had bonded with Lexa she rose to her feet as Titus approached. He requested that she name all of our past Commanders as confirmation that The Spirit of The Commander now resided within her. One by one she spoke each name, the history of our leadership.
As the last name was uttered, Titus presented her with the shoulder armour worn by each Heda. Lexa proudly clipped it to her body and walked over to the throne of Polis. The girl I once trained as my Second announced her new position with commanding presence, "Ai laik Lexa Kom Trikru! Ai laik Heda!"
We all bowed before our new Commander.

 The girl I once trained as my Second announced her new position with commanding presence, "Ai laik Lexa Kom Trikru! Ai laik Heda!" We all bowed before our new Commander

Before the clan leaders left to return to their lands, Lexa had spent time with each of them. I was about to return home when Lexa requested to see me. She stood alone on the balcony of the throne room looking up at the stars.
"You wanted to see me, Heda?" I asked respectfully.
Lexa smiled as she responded, "I'm still getting use to people calling me that."
I grinned back at her, "Well, you are The Commander."
She continued to smile, before her voice became serious for a moment, "And I have you to thank."
I was humbled by her compliment, "Polis gave you your Commanders training and you proved yourself more than worthy in the conclave." Lexa turned to face me before speaking, "It was you, Anya. It was always you. Everything I am today is because of your guidance. I'll always be thankful of that."
It was unusual to see a softer side of Lexa, maybe in some way The Flame brought this out in her. My heart felt elated by her words, "You were born for this, Lexa. I knew it, your mother knew it, as did your father. If they were here today they'd be so proud." I spoke from the heart, knowing that a part of Lexa still grieved for them.
Reaching to my belt I unclipped the dagger from it and handed it to Lexa, "I had this made for you. The wood on the handle is from the tree that grows by your home in Alexandria. Keep it close so that Trikru is always by your side."
She accepted it with pride and humility.