"Did you have knowledge of the house beforehand?" Sandra asked again, I could tell that Lexi was becoming increasingly agitated and stressed out. I wanted to tell the police to come back another time but I knew that it would never get easier for her and it was best to get it out of the way so that we could move on with our lives.

"No, he never told me anything." She sighed. Terry and Sandra looked disappointed at her response, I suppose they wanted her to know all of his plans so that they could make sure that he had no friends doing similar things in other locations but Lexi was none the wiser to what he had been up to outside of her room.

"Did he feed you?" Terry asked, he looked concerned. I hadn't noticed but she was thinner than before and that was dangerous since she was anorexic beforehand and extremely underweight.

"Rarely." She admitted, she looked down at her stomach and cringed away from it in disgust. I would have too if I didn't know her or her story, I still wanted to then but I didn't want to make Lexi feel inadequate because she wasn't, she was beautiful.

"What sorts of weapons did he use on you?" Terry asked after a moment of hesitation, Lexi's eyes widened at the thought. She shuffled around in her bed uncomfortably, her eyes averted to the scars on her arms, my name still visible on her skin.

"Practically everything, nothing enough to kill me though." I wanted to be physically sick. It was the way that she said it, like it was completely normal and she had accepted that it was her reality. It was disgusting how such a beautiful, kind person could ever believe that that treatment was what she deserved because she deserved the opposite. She deserved someone who would treasure every moment with her, someone who would make her feel special and beautiful and someone who would love her to no end. I hoped that someone would be me, if she'd let me.

"Did he seem mentally stable?" Terry asked her, she played with the edge of her blanket awkwardly as if she was contemplating pulling it over her head.

"No he was insane." She gulped before she spoke and when she did speak, it came out in a whisper. I knew at some point, she had loved him but he was a different person back then, it must be hard to accept that the person you loved was no longer the same person.

"Why did he do that to you?" Sandra asked, she sounded caring and concerned but the look on their faces seemed as if they feared her answer, and not just for her but for me too.

"He said he wanted to punish me. I had been bad." She stated matter of factly, tears began to stream down her face now but she wasn't sobbing. Her words made me feel angry, I had to desperately suppress the urge to curl my hands into fists because I knew that would frighten her.

"Do you think you have been bad?" Sandra asked but she already knew what she would reply with. All Lexi did was nod, she looked ashamed of herself. I wanted to stand up and scream at her that she was the complete opposite to what she thinks, I couldn't imagine how she could think such a think. It felt as if acid was pouring through my veins, I was that angry. It was one thing for her to accept the treatment that she had gotten but to believe that she deserved it was one step too far.

"Okay, I think your injuries speak for themselves but we have one final question. Lexi, did he ever force you to do anything you didn't want to? Sexually I mean." Sandra asked. I knew we would get to that question but I really didn't want to hear the answer. She nodded.

I didn't think, I just stood up and ran out of the room. I leaned against the wall and slowly slid down it until I was sat on the floor. I ran my shaking fingers through my hair and glanced up at Lexi's door which was opposite me, I could see her face through the glass. She was looking at me, she was crying and she pulled her hands up to her face to hide her tears.

Moments later the police officers emerged from the room and sat down on the floor next to me. They both looked worried but I made sure to pay them attention because they looked like they wanted to tell me something.

"It's going to be hard for you Nathan." Sandra said, she placed a hand gently on my shoulder supportively.

"I know." I replied, they weren't really telling me something I didn't already know.

"I don't think you quite understand. Before it was just making her trust you again but now you've got to rid her of the mentality that she deserved the treatment that she got. She's going to think that you'll treat her the same way, she's going to be scared of you and it's going to take a long time for you to make her realise that you won't hurt her." Terry explained, after that they stood up and left, saying they had to go now but they thanked me for helping out.

This wasn't going to be as easy as I had anticipated.

REMEMBER TO
VOTE
COMMENT
SHARE
CHECK OUT MY OTHER WORKS
AND FOLLOW xx