Chapter 17 & 18

Chapter Seventeen

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  William Jennings Bryan

On a beach of pale, golden sand seven figures stood facing the ocean. Between Gersha and Zebbah, anxiety coiled in Quinn's gut.

What must Zebbah be feeling?

Gersha's head turned to the right and Quinn followed her gaze to three figures walking towards them.

Nago.

Rage boiled up in him.

"You will contain yourself, Quinn." Zebbah said sternly, still keeping his gaze locked on the ocean.

"Let Zebbah handle it," Gersha said softly as her dainty hand squeezed Quinn's.

As they approached, Quinn recognized Chalerio, Nago and Leykin. So, the witch was back. He wouldn't spare her a second. He realised that, although he felt like attacking Nago in his anger, the disappointment he felt towards Leykin ran so much deeper. Leykin had come so close. Quinn had all but tasted the reconciliation for Zebbah's sake. And, just like that, with the snap of Nago's fingers, Leykin had switched again.

How Zebbah could just stand there and wait on them was beyond Quinn. For Zebbah's sake, Quinn would hold his tongue and control himself.

The trio came to stand right in front of them. Quinn gathered it didn't come as a surprize to the others either to find Leykin standing behind Nago, avoiding eye-contact with anyone. Like a hyena pursuing the weakest prey Chalerio immediately zoomed her attention on Kreeno. Quinn recalled how she had Kreeno practically salivating at her feet the day they had set out with the Yeb-tribe. Like then, she lowered her chin and pinned Kreeno with her entrancing gaze. Quinn felt a moment of triumph when he saw Chalerio's eyes falter when the young warrior stared her down with a hard, confident glower.

That's my man! He wanted to yell not able stop the smirk forming on his face.

"What is your plan?" Nago demanded after it became evident that Zebbah didn't intend on breaking the silence.

"I will bring an end to this." Zebbah said ambiguously.

It occurred to Quinn that Zebbah was yet to take his eyes of the ocean. His whole demeanour was serene, focused.

"How?" Nago bellowed in frustration.

Without another word, another glance, Zebbah started past them towards the rolling waves. Quinn reached out as if to stop Zebbah, but didn't follow through. Gersha lowered her head and, beside her, Quinn could hear Efost whimpering like an abandoned pup. To his surprize, Jazz came to stand beside him. She gripped his arm with both of her small hands and he covered them with his much larger one.

As Kau's eyes willed Zebbah to be brave, Vesallo's legs gave in and he fell to his knees on the sand. Kreeno came to stand between Gersha and Quinn. The unmasked hatred in the glare he aimed at Nago sent a shiver down Quinn's spine. He saw Leykin's eyes lift and meet Kreeno's eyes. They held for a moment before Leykin swung around and darted towards Zebbah.

"Father!"

Zebbah stopped, turned.

"Don't do it!" Leykin cried in a strangled voice and came to a stop in front of Zebbah.

"It is the only way, Son."

"Let me come with you."

"It is not part of the plan, Leykin. There is still much for you to do."