Chapter 15 & 16

Chapter Fifteen 

We tend to take a great deal for granted, because you feel like you're going to live forever. It's only if you lose a friend, or maybe have a near-death experience, [that] many events and people in your life suddenly attain real significance. Brandon Lee

So much for a good night's rest, Quinn thought grumpily. Gersha's question the night before had thrown him so much that he had promptly shrugged and turned away from her without another word.

Just like an ostrich, he mused, ashamed of his own behavior. There the poor girl had been wrestling with it for hours and, just when she decided to share her burden, Quinn had ditched her and made her bear it alone.

He had awakened from a fitful sleep when he heard the others stir just now. Gums had taken off somewhere, but Quinn knew he'd probably be back again soon. He stood, brushed off the dried leaves which had been his bed, and headed in the direction where Gersha was harvesting berries. He handed her his satchel—hers was probably floating somewhere in space after being zapped by arpazzo yesterday—and joined her in picking some of the plump, purple dotted fruit.

"I'm sorry for turning my back on you last night. I guess your reasoning came as a bit of a shock."

Gersha conciliated with a polite smile and continued, her features unreadable.

Quinn tried again. "So you're thinking Nago or Leykin could..."

"Shhhh," she silenced him, hastily darting a look over her shoulder.

"We have to mention it to Zebbah." Quinn urged.

"No!" Gersha's almond eyes were wide.

Quinn cupped her shoulder and waited for her to look at him. He saw fear there for the first time. "Not talking about it isn't going to prevent it from happening, Gersha. You can't control or manipulate the outcome. Zebbah must know, be better prepared. But even he can't control it."

He squeezed her shoulder and she nodded slowly. Her shoulders slumped a bit, which wasn't like her.

"Have faith, Gersha. Things are not always as they seem." Quinn saw sadness in her eyes. He should distract her.

"I've been wondering," He handed Gums a berry "how did the others return to our world each time?"

The secretive smile curved ever so slightly. "How do you think, Quinn?"

He struggled to get the word out, because he so didn't want it to be true.

"Arpazzo?" he squeezed out.

"Don't fret, Quinn," she teased, "Fergus at least lived to return to us, didn't he?"

So apparently did Jazz, he thought. They sauntered over to where the others were gathered. Gersha placed the berries on a rock where more food had already been laid out. Quinn marveled at the way the Tree People looked out for one another. He would have thought it more efficient for each one to find their own food—of which the land was bountiful—so that they could get going, but no. Even away from Tibay they were still a community. Efost and Kreeno had filled everyone's water skins early that morning and the rest had gone off to gather a variety of fruit and seeds. There was relative silence as they nourished themselves for the big day ahead.

Quinn got his first glimpse of Jazz in quiet conversation with Zebbah. It occurred to him that Zebbah seemed to have a calming effect on the girl. Quinn wanted Jazz to realize what she could have with the Tree People. She and Gersha appeared to have clicked in a way, and he saw the potential for friendship there. If she'd only let them. His thoughts were cut off when Gersha asked Efost to show her to the water source. Quinn gratefully tagged along, elated by the simple prospect of ridding himself of a few days' worth of grime. He failed to catch Jazz's eye to invite her along, because she was listening intently to something Zebbah was explaining. Not wanting to draw to much attention by singling Jazz out, he let her be.