Chapter 3 & 4

Chapter Three

There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. William Butler Yeats

Those delicate alien legs certainly had the vigor to keep up with any cross-country athlete back home, Quinn thought. They'd been hiking for miles and, despite his fitness level, he was worn-out. Still, Gersha's company wasn't unpleasant and the conversation was...fascinating. She was a jumble of sunshine and shyness. That, combined with her soft-spoken, genteel way of conversing, made for an entertaining package. He didn't berate, nor examine, himself too much for dropping his guard just a little as they progressed. He figured he might as well gain as much information as possible while he was stuck there. He looked up at the only remaining sun.

"You have two suns."

"You are correct, Quinn." Quinn was a little vexed that her use of his name, as though they were old friends, pleased him. The initial irritation her familiarity had triggered, had evaporated somewhere along the way. "It is a big point of confusion for earthlings. Time here is not like on your Earth, especially our days. Our friend, Fergus, explained your earth's rotations and all it brings about. As you have noted, we have two suns. Our days do not all follow a constant successive pattern like your planet. As Fergus enlightened us, without exception, your days all begin with sunrise. Then your only sun's path leads it to midday and then on to sunset, midnight and, finally, to sunrise again. You will find that getting used to our days will drain and confuse you initially, because it is much different to what you are used to. You will adjust eventually."

Lady, I don't plan on sticking around long enough to adjust, the thought intruded on his good mood.

He may be warming up to her a smidgen, but certainly not to the idea of spending more time there than absolutely necessary. He would follow her home and find out how to get back to his world the first chance he got.

Oblivious to his inner rebellion, Gersha continued chatting, "Zebbah will be able to answer all your questions about our days and suns. He is gifted in that area, a fountain of knowledge. He would not mind answering questions. He and Fergus were good friends too."

"Were?"

Her smile slipped ever so slightly. "We have not seen Fergus in so long. I do not know if we ever will again. Zebbah misses his old friend."

As the second sun melted into the horizon the day turned to dusk and the sky finally darkened. Quinn was growing worried about the possible dangers lurking in the dark, especially the nocturnal, predatory kind.

Sounds of a river reached his ears before it came into view. What he saw was a sight to behold. Twinkling moonbeams were strewn over the wide river, swirling and twirling just above the surface in an enthralling, brilliant dance. Quinn looked up at the dark sky trying to locate the moon, but there was none.

"We call it the kara-ohr," Gersha whispered as if unwilling to intrude on the shimmering wonder. "It means dancing lights. It has to do with the sun's rays that shine on a certain underwater plant by day. The plant releases a gas at night that has this effect above the water's surface. I never grow tired of the sight. Is it not magical? So many things have changed in Zoay lately, but this little plant has proved strong and resilient."

Quinn contemplated asking her what she meant by things had changed, but decided against complicating things by involving himself in their affairs. He was only interested in finding a way home. Besides, she was already on her way again. They turned right, upstream, and soon came to the remains of a massive, fallen tree trunk. It reached all the way over the wide river to rest on a rocky bank on the opposite side. Its sturdiness was evident at a glance; as though it had been resting there forever, so Quinn felt fairly confident to follow Gersha to the other side.