9. four steps

Gillian opened her eyes at the sound of footsteps on broken glass

It came from their right, and Brock's wounded ear didn't register it, but he saw Gillian sit up, her arm tight across her sore ribs.

"What is it?"

"There's somebody downstairs," she said.

Brock stood up and turned on the flashlight. "Stay here."

Bummer. I was planning to sprint downstairs. Regarding he'd been trying so hard to be nice to her, Gillian just nodded.

He walked out of the apartment and across the hall, up to where the handrail used to be, then pointed his flashlight down.

The Squad that had just come in through the window spotted the light and called out. "LT Gillian! Agent Brockner!"

"Up here!"

The Squad scanned the walls and the floor slowly, step by step, as he spoke. "How are you holding up, sir?"

"We're fine, but we need a medic for Lieutenant Gillian!"

"Can she move, sir?"

"With help!"

The Squad took another step.

"I'm clearing the hall, sir! Hang on! We're coming for you!"

His own voice didn't let him hear the soft click when his foot touched the ruined carpet outside apartment 205. Behind the door, on the dusty floor in the middle of the empty apartment, a tiny box with an electronic display came to life without a noise. The display read a steady "3".

Gillian managed to stand up by herself and hopped to the apartment's door, where she paused, grabbing the doorframe for support. The Squad scanning their way out was an adrenaline boost to overshadow the pain, but not completely.

Brock went to her side, swallowing the scold she deserved for being up and there.

"You heard him," he said. "We'll be out soon."

"They better hurry. We still have those damned bombs to locate."

Brock scowled at her words. "You're not chasing any more bombs tonight, Gillian."

"Are you? Then so am I."

Brock breathed in and looked away, back at the stairwell, leaving the argument for the moment they were actually out of that crumbling ruin. No point in having it twice.

Outside the building, Taylor joined Aldana by the tower ladder.

"Reg's fine," she told him, before he could ask. "A little beaten, it seems, but holding up."

Taylor only nodded, relieved. Fred came to them, speaking on the radio, and filled them in.

"They already connected today's bombings to Wood's career, so now they're working to find the other three."

They heard the Squad inside the building, calling out from the stairs, "Agent Brockner!"

Brock went back to the edge of the hall, biting his tongue when he heard Gillian hopping after him. When she got to his side, he grabbed her arm to help her keep her balance, regardless of what she might think about it. They showed out together and the Squad smiled up at them.

"The hall is clear, so now the Rescue Team is coming for you guys."

"Are you sure it's clear?" asked Gillian, feeling utterly ridiculous, with her foot in the air and Brock grabbing her like that.

"I am, Lieutenant! I'm using one of your team's scanners!"

"So we can go down now?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Go get the medics!"

"Right away, sir!"

The Squad hurried back to the window. And as he passed by the apartment 205, the small display inside changed the reading to "2".

Brock faced Gillian with his usual scowl. He could sense how awkward she felt about his holding her up. It was going to be hard, helping her down the stairs, because there was no way she could do it on her own. Trying to keep her at the third floor was out of the question—she would dive head-on to the second floor if he even suggested to stay and wait for the medics up there. However, she bore his arm around her back, and his hand holding hers to help her hop down to the first step.

Great, she thought. Now we look like stupid ice-skaters performing some stupid choreography.

He noticed her sharp breath when that simple hop reverberated up her injured bones. Even knowing what she would answer, he said, "We can wait for them here." Only to confirm that she reacted like a porcupine to any attempt of caring about her state, no matter how realistic.

"No," she grunted. "I'm sick and tired of this damn place."

So she breathed in and hopped to the next step. And down the stairs they went, pausing at every step, until they reached the landing, halfway to the second floor. There Brock ruled they would take a break, careful to not sound careful.

Gillian agreed, bearing the pain, and allowed him to help her rest her back against the wall. She knew it wasn't fair, reacting as if he were patronizing her, when all he was doing was honestly caring, but the constant pain had her on edge. Well, she could always try the Blue Label gambit again as a peace offer later on. Surely he'd already finished the one she'd given him six months earlier.

Then they heard a man of the Rescue Team, calling out as he came in through the window, "LT? Agent Brockner?"

"Stairs!" Brock shouted out, even though shouting renewed his earache.

The man walked past apartment 205 while his partner came in. And inside the empty apartment, the display changed to "1".

Gillian tried to go on but Brock stopped her, blank scowl and flat voice. "No need, they're already here."

The second man hurried to catch up with his colleague, almost at the stairs. He walked by apartment 205 and the display changed to "0".

It was like a distant thunder rolling closer, shaking the ground. Aldana looked up and grabbed Fred's and Taylor's arms, dragging them away from the north wall as she frantically yelled, "Back! Everybody back!"

Through the explosion, they all heard the noise of collapsing walls inside. Responders ran away in all directions from the violent gusts of dust and debris expelled out of the building.