Chapter 5: Troublesome Suitor

Brad watched the impatience of this man but saw Lori's frown. "Do you know him?"

Lori recognized the caution in his voice. "That's Alan Poster. I have no idea what he wants." If there had been a way to ride around to the back of the house, she would have, but he'd already spotted her.

Alan stepped over to the edge of the steps as she dismounted. His surprise visit caught her unprepared, wearing Bo's tight castoff britches, and a gun strapped to her thigh. But considering the situation couldn't be changed, she chose to ignore it. Brad took the reins of her horse giving her a little wink before he rode off.

She pasted an expression of pleasure on her face she didn't feel, but Alan's focus never reached that far up to see it. "Hello, Alan. What brings you by?"

He stood in his proper three-piece suit with legs braced apart. His hand rose motioning towards the gun on her hip. "Are you expecting trouble? You're wearing that six-shooter like a gunslinger."

He probably thought he was being clever, or knowing him, reproachful. She glanced down at her gun and gave it a little pat. "I've been practicing with Brad."

"Your brothers have always treated you like a boy instead of a girl, or so I've heard," Alan smirked. "When did you start wearing a gun?"

His haughty tone was too much. "Alan, how my brothers chose to raise me is none of your affair. Nor is anything else about me." He had the audacity to shake his head once again in a patronizing way.

"Lori, young ladies generally don't use guns... or wear men's apparel," he said as he waved his hand motioning to her clothing. "Is that something else you do on a regular basis?"

What didn't he understand about none of his business? If he thought she would stand here and be a target for a lecture on decorum by him, he was dead wrong. "No, Alan. If you had sent a message requesting to see me, I would have worn appropriate clothing."

He leaned his shoulder against the column of the porch and continued to look her over. "I imagine you would have. Most of society wouldn't approve of the way you're dressed, much less wearing a gun. I'm astonished your brothers allow it."

"They wanted me to know how to protect myself." She truly wanted to wipe that smirk right off his haughty face. With a threatening glare, she asked, "Would you like me to demonstrate my ability?" If he kept it up she would.

He laughed out loud. "That's not necessary, my dear. I assure you. Your brothers have a reputation for their ability, so I imagine you're quite good. I'd heard a rumor concerning this, but I assumed it had been an exaggeration."

"No, it's true." He had used up her patience. "Look, Alan, I have better things to do than discuss my choice in clothes, or the fact I'm good with firearms. Why don't you tell me the reason for your visit?"

"Don't lose your temper," he cajoled, as he hurried down the steps of the porch. "How you're dressed doesn't bother me at all. I'd be less than a man if it did. What does bother me is the idea of you moving west. Isn't there any way you could stay?"

Why would he care? She barely knew him except for parties. And she wasn't about to mention her brothers idea of marriage. "No, Alan. Definitely not. My brothers expect me to go with them."

His brows drew in as he pulled at his bottom lip. "That's too bad. I had hoped for more time." He slipped his fingers inside his coat pocket pulling out a ring and held it in front of her. "This was my grandmother's. I know it's sudden, but would you consider an engagement? You could live with my parents until the wedding. Then, we would have plenty of time to get to know each other better—if you need it."