Chapter 1: No Choice

Richmond, Virginia, March 1888

Bo, the youngest of the five Forester brothers, headed towards the parlor where their sister had been sent as if she were a child. It hadn't been a smart move in his opinion. She'd be furious even before he broke the news.

His brother Jacob strode along beside him. The heavy strike of their boot heels against the wood floor sounded virtually in unison. Behind them, another brother stood leaning against the doorframe of their male domain watching their progress, while the two eldest waited inside to hear how she took the news. Not that it mattered. What was decided wouldn't change.

A few feet from the closed parlor door, Bo stopped as though to stare a hole through it while he gathered his thoughts. How they bushwhacked him into passing along their decision, they knew she'd object to, remained a mystery.

Jacob leaned a shoulder against the wall staring at Bo's foreboding face. "I'd encourage you, but nothing I say will change her reaction. She'll either be incensed or shed enough tears to make you feel like a jackass."

Bo's shoulders sagged. "Likely, it'll be anger. I haven't seen a tear in years."

"Just tell her and make your escape. Let Frank do the cleanup. He's the one who should be explaining in the first place."

Bo's eyes darted back towards the study where Frank remained in the doorway. "A lot of good it does me. When I argued that Frank could tell her in such a way she'd be eager, he said she'd need to vent her frustrations without feeling guilt. Apparently, I'm to be her target when she rants and begins throwing things."

Bo jerked his attention back to getting the godawful job done with, took a fortifying breath, and gave the door to the parlor a perfunctory tap. He peeked inside to see his sister militantly pacing back and forth by the fireplace mumbling and twisting a long golden curl into a tight snarl. One might think by looking at her she'd be an angel. Yeah—one with a fiery sword in her hand.

Because she hadn't heard him knock, he rapped louder to gain her attention. She came to an abrupt halt and looked his way.

"Well don't just stand there; tell me what's happened."

Bo shut the door in Jacob's face. It would be hard enough without him watching. He raked his palm over the back of his neck as he crossed the room to the sofa.

Lori watched him with pity on her face. "Short straw again?" His shoulder rose and fell in a shrug. "Figures. What's all the secrecy? The last time I was told to leave the room all of you discussed sending me away to finishing school."

The tone of her accusation caused his guilt to grow. That had been four years ago, and he'd been the one to tell her about that decision too. Thankfully, she'd marched right to Frank to complain. In an effort to avoid the same reaction, they each gave him their opinion on how she should be told. The unanimous decision—get it said without any hem-hawing around. The same way you'd tell a man. He looked straight into her baby blues and mentally braced himself for the fireworks.

"It's about the store. We've sold it."

Lori's hands flew to her chest as if he'd shot her in the heart. "You did what!"

Bo raced to get it said. "We've sold it so we can join Brad and Thomas in Texas."

Her hands dropped to her waist and fisted there. "Well, that's thoughtful of all of you! What am I expected to do, move in with Aunt Emily?"

This possibility hadn't been discussed, and it left him with a dilemma for a second. He chose to ignore it. "That's ridiculous. You're coming with us just like we planned years ago; unless you've set your mind on marrying one of those annoying suitors who've been sniffing around your newly acquired petticoats."