Chapter Twelve - Breathe Me

Be my friend, hold me
Wrap me up, unfold me
I am small, I'm needy
Warm me up and breathe me

------------------------------

Regina kept alternating between sitting on the couch, pacing the foyer, glancing at the clock, and fixing her hair in the mirror. Emma would be knocking on her front door any minute and her heart was racing from the anticipation.

Despite their debacle at the station earlier today, she knew Emma would still show up at the house. But as it grew later and later, she started questioning just how certain she was.

She peered at the clock and sighed, realizing it was already 1:45 AM. She sat down on the couch again and leaned her head against the palm of her hands, letting her gaze fall.

When 2:00 came and went, she sighed and walked up the steps toward her bedroom, disappointed that she was going to bed alone tonight. She craved the feeling of Emma's warmth beside her and she was tired of hiding how she felt. She and Emma both knew they were well beyond the point of friendship.

Regina dozed off briefly as soon as her head hit the pillow, but it didn't last long. She sighed when she woke up again and looked at the clock on her nightstand. It was almost 3 in the morning. She quickly realized Emma never showed up. She shook her head and pressed her fingertips to her temple. Then she tugged at the end of her hair and tilted her head back, deep in thought. Something wasn't settling right for her and her mouth went dry as panic set in.

She jumped out of bed and sprinted down the steps to grab her coat from the closet. She slipped on a pair of flats and hurried out the front door in the direction of her car.

As she walked up the front steps of Emma and Hook's house, she worried she was overreacting or just being reckless or selfish showing up like this. But she didn't care. She waved her hand over the doorknob, using her magic to unlock it, then turned the knob and made her way inside.

She remained quiet, unsure what she even planned to do if she saw Hook. But the knot in her stomach told her she needed to make sure Emma was safe before she left.

She tiptoed up the steps, realizing she never went up to the second floor of their house before. When she reached the top of the stairs, she looked in both directions, unsure which way to proceed. Suddenly, a loud, muffled sob cut through the silence of the night.

She felt a wave of nausea as she bolted down the hall toward the sound, pushed open the bedroom door and took in the sight around her.

Emma sobbed again and Regina spotted her curled into a ball on the ground wearing only her underwear. Her tank top was on the floor next to her but was ripped and Hook was shirtless and unconscious on the bed, his pants unbuckled and a shiny bruise on his eye.

"Emma!" Regina called out as she sprinted toward Emma's side. "Emma, are you okay?"

Emma couldn't form words between her sobs so she shook her head slowly. Regina reached down to help her up and Emma winced loudly.

"No, please. Don't move me. I can't. It hurts." She choked.

Regina's eyes watered as her gaze fell over Emma's body, taking in her condition. The entire left side of her body was badly bruised in different shades of blue, purple and grey. Her hair was disheveled and she had scrapes on her arms, thighs and stomach.

When she noticed that Emma's underwear was ripped and stained with blood, Regina gasped and her hand squeezed tightly into a fist. She stood up and began to walk toward the pirate passed out on the bed, the desire for vengeance pumping through her veins as her blood boiled.

"Regina, please. Please, help." Emma whispered, pulling Regina back and washing away her need for revenge.

She ran to Emma's side again. "I'm right here. I promise, I have you. You're safe now."

She knew she wouldn't be able to move Emma without hurting her further so she poofed them back to her house and she watched Emma blink slowly and let out a soft sigh of relief as she realized she was safe in Regina's bedroom, her sobbing starting to slow.

She waved her hand over Emma's body slowly, letting the pain slowly melt away.

"I know I can only do so much, but that should help a little. I wish I could do more..." Regina said and dropped her head in disappointment.

Emma nodded and pulled Regina closer to kiss her softly.

"Can you stand? I'll help you."

Regina wrapped her arm around Emma's waist and Emma stood up slowly now that her bruises weren't causing her so much pain.

"Let's get you cleaned up." She walked Emma to the bathroom and started the bathtub. She cringed again at the sight of Emma's slender body covered in bruises and cuts. Regina pulled the underwear off her gently then helped her into the warm water.

Regina could tell Emma felt embarrassed being so fragile and vulnerable so she leaned in and kissed the top of her head.

"Emma, look at me."

Emma looked up and locked eyes with Regina, her eyes full of fear and sadness.

"Don't be afraid when you're around me. I'd do anything for you, do you understand me?"

Emma nodded slowly and whispered, "I don't deserve you."

"Shh."

"I don't. If anyone deserves happiness, it's you, Regina." Her voice was shaky and unsteady but she continued. "You are incredible and I want you to find your happy ending like I promised."

"Emma, do you not realize it by now? You are my happy ending. You are what I want. You, me, and Henry. Our family."

Emma wiped the tears from her eyes and her lips curled into a soft smile before Regina wet a washcloth then rubbed it over Emma carefully, erasing the traces of blood that lingered on her inner thighs and most intimate areas.

She wrapped Emma in a fluffy towel then went to grab her a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt.

As soon as Emma was dressed, she didn't say a word, she just walked toward Regina's bed and pulled back the covers then wrapped herself in them like a cocoon.

Regina climbed into the bed on the other side, giving Emma plenty of space.

"Closer." She whispered, reaching out in attempt to pull her in. "Please."

Regina smiled, her stomach fluttering as she happily obliged and wiggled her way closer to the blonde.

"No, closer. Hold me, please. I need you." Emma's voice was full of desperation and Regina wasn't sure if her heart was going to shatter from hearing the pain in her tone or explode from happiness of Emma finally admitting she needed her.

Regina wrapped her arms around Emma's fragile frame but when she winced in return, she lightened her grasp and reached under her shirt to rub her back with her fingertips.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"Not yet, I just need you to hold me."

"I'm not going anywhere."