Shenanigans Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I don't volunteer there," Steve says without further explanation.

The wheels start turning in Ashley's head. "You're a co-ordinator...social worker?" she says with just a hint of desperate pleading in her voice.

"Nope!"

Before Ashley can dig any deeper, the waiter comes over to take their drink order. Steve take Ashley by the hand, "Hey, I know what you're thinking but you can relax. Order whatever you want, your drink is on me tonight."

"Drinks are on you? That's very kind."

"Drink," he says stressing the singular.

"Of course," Ashley says, sneaking a glance at her watch.

***********************************************************

The Cedar Room is for Niko what the Fortress of Solitude is for Superman. It's more than just a building, or a location, it's a fundamental part of who he is. It's where he drinks, eats, occasionally sleeps, and more than occasionally has sex. It's where he lies about falling in love. It's where he's broken up more engagements and marriages than he can count. But more important than all of that, it's a place where he doesn't have to be Work-Niko.

So as he sits across from Louie and Sylvia, smiling and nodding at some story about how she had such a hard time putting Evan to bed when he was toddler, he's not really listening to what she's saying. His brain is currently occupied, running through a list of non-traceable poisons he'd like to slip in Louie's drink right now. Is Cyanide traceable, he thinks to himself. What about ricin? Was that what Walter White used in Breaking Bad?

Making a mental note to find himself a good ricin guy, he looks up to see Sylvia and Louie staring at him, like they're awaiting a response.

"Well?" Louie asks.

"Come again." Niko says.

"Are you able to tell in class when Evan hasn't had a good night's sleep?" Sylvia asks.

"Oh, yeah. Quite the drowsy little rascal he can be," Niko says as politely as he can through gritted teeth.

"I just think it's great that we can all hang out together," Louie says.

"I never thought I'd be out with my son's teacher having drinks but this is fun," she says.

"Yes. A real delight," Niko says stone faced.

"Oh my God! Isn't that what's-her-name?" Louie says gesturing over Niko's shoulder.

Niko turns around to take a look and then whips back around lightening quick.

"Nope, no, no. I don't believe it is."

"Yes it is. How can you forget her?" Louie turns to Sylvia. "So Niko goes to her place and they start going at it right on the living room floor. They don't even make it to the bedroom when he..."

"No, no, no, no, no. I think you have me confused with someone else," Niko insists.

"What? Come on. So long story short he's sexting her sister while he's doing it with her."

Sylvia can't hide her look of shock and horror.

"I assure you, Louie has his wires crossed," Niko says, almost pleading.

The woman in question comes over and stops at their table. "Hi Niko."

Niko is in hell and he's wearing a wool sweater. "Hey, how are you? You remember Louie and this is Sylvia."

The woman shakes their hands, "Hi, I'm Barb. You guys having a nice time?"

"The best," Niko says. "And yourself?"