s i x t y s i x

$ s i x t y s i x $

The women were taken into the waiting van first. Then they would come back to load the unconscious bodies of the Coven members into the van. Hyuna and Mei went first, then Hani. The three of them cried silently for their fallen brother. But Mariel had been the most affected. Her body was wracked by sobs and she was hysterical, calling his name as though he could still hear her. "You promised me, Jongdae." She cried, as she was pushed into the waiting van.

From the corner of her eye, she could see two members of the Nightmares dragging his lifeless body out of the house. They had tied the body to the front porch of the house, which was visible from the outside. In front of them, they placed a crude sign. "This is what happens to people who betray the Nightmares." It was a method of intimidation they had seen and borrowed from the cartels in Mexico. They often used those methods to scare people into being loyal to them.

With the women in the van, they returned for the men. Even though they were still unconscious, the Nightmares tied their hands behind their backs and dragged them out to the waiting van.

From there, they went to the airport where they rented a private jet and loaded their prisoners in a secluded area of the clandestine airport. 

The whole way to Japan, Mariel was a crying mess, to the point where the second in command groaned in annoyance and frustration. "Will you fucking be quiet?" He turned in his seat towards Mariel. He added in an annoyed mutter, eyebrows furrowed, and eyes full of anger as he looked at her. "You would think she's run out of tears by now."

"You took my Jongdae away from me." She said to him through gritted teeth. Her accusing words were full of venom.

Had her hands not been tied behind her back, he was certain she would have taken a swing at him. But then she did the next equivalent thing. She hacked up a good wad of phlegm and spit in his face, taking Takuya by surprise. 

He quickly wiped his face away and a fire of rage burned in his eyes. But Mariel was not afraid, nor did she regret what she did. The Nightmares' second in command undid his seat belt and jumped out of his seat to stand in the cargo area here the members of the Coven were thrown into. He cut the short distance between himself and Mariel, and knelt in front of her. He clenched his fist behind her head, tangling his fingers through her long hair. He yanked at her hair sharply, pulling her head back, and forcing her to keep her eyes up.

"You think I'm scared of you?" He hissed at her, his grip on her hair tightening so much that Mariel felt as though her head was pounding. But she didn't give in. "Soon as we get to Fukuoka, I'm gonna teach you how to respect your new leaders."

Mariel eyed him full of a deep hatred. "I will never respect the Nightmares. My only loyalty was to my Jongdae, and the Coven."

Takuya chuckled at her words, mocking her. "You'll learn soon enough."

He released his hold on her hair and pushed her back against the wall of the plane. She hit the metal wall sharply and winced in pain. Meanwhile, Hani watched her brothers. She didn't know how much blood they lost. But she figured they should have woken up by then. Yet they were still unconscious and she was beginning to worry.

-

Baekhyun sulked from the safety of the cupboard. The others had all turned against him, saying he would only slow them down in that moment of crisis. Now their eleven members had gone out there to risk their lives for the family. 

From where they sat, they heard faint sounds of voices arguing. As the confrontation escalated, gunshots were heard throughout the forest. 

At least, Baekhyun thought, since it was night time and they had the trees to use as covers, the Pack had the advantage. They had been living there for a while now and they knew the area. Better than their attackers at the very least. The gunshot sounds went on for about ten minutes, until they dwindled down and then disappeared altogether. But Baekhyun was confident that the Pack had come out on top. They had to. The pack was strong.

He got back on his feet with some difficulty. 

His injury was still bothering him, and the doctor told him it was taking so long to heal because he refused to sit still. Baekhyun hated bed rest because it bored him and he had nothing to do.

He'd much rather spend his time protecting the family, or at least training Miran with her new alpha duties. She would soon need to learn to wield a gun because there was a chance she would one day need to protect herself in his absence.

Miran stopped him by placing a hand on his arm. "What are you doing, Light?" She whispered a question.

He looked over his shoulder at her and whispered back, "I'm going to see what happened to our brothers. If I don't come back within ten minutes, stay here another hour, and then when you can make sure that the coast is clear, go into town. Find the Jackals. They're our allies and they'll take you in."

Miran's eyes pooled up with tears, but she didn't stop him as much as she wanted to. She knew how important being an alpha was for him, and she knew he would never forgive himself if he didn't fulfill his duties. Instead, she tugged on his arm a bit harder until he turned towards her. She quickly got on her feet and pressed her lips to his, giving him what might have been their last kiss. 

"Come back to me, Light." She begged in a whiny voice, lips trembling as she tried to contain her tears. 

Baekhyun nodded and opened the door to the cupboard slowly. 

The house was completely empty, not a soul to be found anywhere. He stepped out into the hallway, gun ready and cocked in his hand. He took slow and hesitant steps as he made his way to the living room. 

Already from the window, he could see in the darkness, how bodies littered the front lawn of the house. But it was too dark, and he couldn't recognize any of them. Still, something told him that it was more than likely his brothers, since they had been unprepared for the fight. He only hoped that their sacrifice for the family would be worth it, and it would if he could make sure that Miran and Jiyeon were safe. They would need to carry on with the Pack's work, without their brothers. He swallowed the sob that threatened to escape his lips and wiped the hot tears away from his eyes. 

There would be time for mourning, but right in that moment, Baekhyun thought, it was a time for revenge.

-

a little update for you all before i go to work today. i work at mcdonalds, but i have a really bad cold that might be the flu because i heard dry cough is more of a flu symptom. but im not sure. the thing is i feel really sick. 

so i hope my boss just sees me looking super sick and asks me to go home because i dont want to call off. that makes me look bad as an eemployee.

but going to work sick also, i suppose.

i hate working.

-clary