n i n e t e e n

$ n i n e t e e n $

With his day off, Jongdae decided to sleep in since they had been at the casino until around two in the morning. He got out of bed past noon and got in the shower. After spending all day relaxing at home, he went out once the sun went down, in the same direction that the night clubs were in. 

He went to the same one, The End of the Night.

Instead of going to the bar for a drink, he took a seat at one of the tables closest to the stage and waited for the performance to begin. When her name was heard through the loud speaker, Jongdae stood up and joined the audience in cheers and whistles as she made her way out in the same costume she had worn the night before. This time when she spotted him looking at her in the audience, she blew him a kiss.

Jongdae returned to his seat and watched her performance which only lasted a few minutes. Then he went to the same person he had gone to last night, to ask for some alone time with The End of the Night's prettiest dancer.

"I thought you said you were going to die last night. I was already expecting a funeral invitation." She told him with a teasing smirk as she walked into the private room.

He bit down on his lip and tilted his head back on the sofa with amusement. All his nerves and shyness from the night before were long gone. "I had such a good time here with you that I decided I had to survive, just so that I could come see you again."

"That's so sweet of you." She replied, in an unimpressed tone. Sighing, she walked over to him and took a seat on his lap, even before he had asked her to. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she brought her lips to his ear. "What will it be today, Chen?" She purred seductively, almost triggering a shiver to roll down his spine. What she did manage to trigger was the strain in his pants.

His eyebrow furrowed. "Don't call me Chen. That's my work name. I'm Jongdae."

"Jongdae." She repeated the name slowly for him to hear it.

Gulping, he placed his hands on her waist and pushed her back gently until she was sitting next to him on the couch. He pulled his hands back away from her and brought a hand up to his shirt, opening up a few buttons to make his breathing easier. "I didn't come to you for the same reason I came yesterday. That was...sort of like a final night of fun because I thought I was going to die."

She eyed him suspiciously. "Then why are you here?"

"I just want to talk." He told her simply.

"Talk." She repeated the last word as thought it was something foreign. It was to her, at least. Most men that came to watch her dance wanted one of two things from her--a private dance, or sex. His own request had taken her off guard.

Jongdae nodded. "From the moment I saw you dancing last night, you caught my attention, Mariel."

Mariel pressed her index finger to his lips to stop him from speaking. "I don't go by my real name at work." The same excuse he had given her when she called him Chen, but in reverse.

He nodded in understanding and pushed himself up from the couch and back on his feet. Turning towards her and offering his hand, he suggested, "Lets get out of here, then. Lets just be Jongdae and Mariel for the night."

She took a look at his hand, wanting desperately to take it. But she bit down on her lip. "I can't."

The member of the coven insisted. "Go change out of that costume, and I'll talk to your boss."

He was willing to pay any price to share her company.

-

At their leader's house, the five members of the pack entered the house cautiously. Together they made their way further into the house, where the bedrooms were located. At the end of the hall was the master bedroom, with the door shut. Baekhyun took a few hesitant steps, while the others followed behind him. Once he reached the door, he brought a hand up to knock on it. "Alpha," He called gently. 

There was no answer from the other side of the door.

The pack's beta tried again, this time a bit louder. "Alpha...its us. Your brothers. We just want to make sure you're okay."

When there was no response once again, Baekhyun pushed the door open. Inside the room was Junmyeon, at the foot of the bed with his wedding photo clutched to his chest and a tear soaked face that confirmed what Sehun told them. He had been crying all night. His gun was on the ground by his side, just within his reach. He was sitting with shoulders slumped and his head lowered, eyes trained on the ground.

Baekhyun opened the door further and took a step towards him. "Brother..." He called, feeling empathy for him. He had just lost his wife. Before yesterday he'd have never been able to relate. But now that he had Miran, even if they weren't married or in a relationship, he couldn't imagine losing her.

Junmyeon looked up at them with resentment. "Go away. You all betrayed me."

"We didn't know who to obey." Chanyeol spoke up, trying to explain what had happened the night before. "We wanted to follow your orders, but we also had to follow hers."

"You let them take her from me." He said, voice full of hurt. "Instead of helping me, you held me back when I tried to stop them. You betrayed me."

"That's not what happened." Baekhyun insisted. "We were trying to save your life."

"Did you want her to make that sacrifice for nothing?" Jongin asked him, trying to convince their leader that what they did was the right choice. "She put her freedom on the table to spare you, alpha. We didn't want you to go and screw it up."

"I'd rather die if she's not here." Their leader said, and they believed him. He already appeared to be dead inside. He soon added, "When I'm gone, I want Satan to be the new alpha. Light doesn't deserve my position after betraying me like that." The members of the pack looked to Kyungsoo with surprise. 

They had finally gotten their leader to fall asleep after nearly an hour.

The five members of the pack were gathered in the living room. "He can't handle the business in the condition he's in. We need someone to stand in while he recovers." Sehun commented.

"Are we really making Satan the new alpha?" Jongin wondered.

Baekhyun thought about it. Rightfully, it was a position that had to be passed down to him in the event that their current leader wouldn't be able to do it anymore. But he had chosen Kyungsoo. Then there was the issue of pack rules. When the pack started out and Junmyeon was chosen the leader, they vowed that the title would be disputed the same way it was done in a real wolf pack.

Someone had to challenge the alpha. Only in this case, the alpha was voluntarily stepping down. 

"If he wants to come back, he'll have to fight me." Kyungsoo said with a frown. 

The last thing he wanted was to have to fight later on over a seat he never wanted in the first place. He thought that seat would always belong to Junmyeon.

-

just posting the update now because i feel like tomorrow morning there will be no time to do so. thank you all loads for reading, and i hope you're liking the story so far. im having a ton of fun writing it because its mafia ish mixed with mythical creatures even though theyre not actual wolves. but they run their group that way.

i hope your holidays are going well. i have to sleep now. goodnight ^.^

-clary xx