Chapter CVIII: Jacob's Point of View

Start from the beginning

Bella's leech looked grim, like he was constipated. The Doc was smiling at me, his wife standing next to him with her own smile on her face.

"Jacob; how can we help you?" the Doc asked.

I came to talk about this attack, I replied. Edward grimaced and nodded. Cautiously, I took a step over the border, waiting the whole time for them to attack. But they didn't.

"We wouldn't." I growled at him in warning. "This would be much better if we could maybe talk face to face." Not likely; I wasn't going to take any risks with them. "Bella would really like to talk to you."

I don't want to talk to her.

"Please, Jacob; it would mean a lot if you would phase out and come and see her. She's still your best friend."

You're only saying that now because she chose you.

"Edward," the Doc interrupted, "if he would like to be in his wolf form that is fine. But it would be appreciated and helpful if you would phase back, Jacob. We would like to be able to talk to you about our plans." I cocked my head and stared at him. "You don't have to come into the house if that would make you more comfortable. We could speak here by the creek." That's good; that was neutral territory. I nodded and went behind the bushes to phase back.

"Why are they coming after her?" I spat as soon as I was back in front of them. "You said that they would never find out what she was alive. How did this happen?"

"One of our sisters from Denali saw Bella and Renesmee -"

"I'm sorry; who?"

"My daughter, Renesmee."

"Do you hate your kid? Or were you hoping that someone would find out that you guys don't die? Renesmee isn't exactly a normal name," I said with a laugh.

"One of our sisters from the Denali clan saw Bella and Renesmee and assumed our daughter was an immortal child. She went to the Volturi who demanded proof from her," Edward said again through clenched teeth. "When Aro touched her, he saw that Ryanne was still alive. We had told them that she was going to die. They probably think that we have found away to deceive them."

"Then why not just explain the truth?" I growled.

"Don't you think that we've thought of that? The Volturi will not just leave my family alone. We have no choice. They're coming for my girls, Jacob."

"And they're going to kill mine. Your mate and your daughter aren't easily killed, but my imprint is nothing more than human. How are you proposing to protect her?" I snapped. Bella wouldn't be broken easily. It would only take a snap of their fingers to kill my Annie.

"We cannot fight them," Carlisle interrupted.

"No; you can't fight them. I can. I can kill them and rip them to shreds and save my mate," I snarled.

"Jacob." The quiet voice startled me. I turned to find a little girl with big brown eyes and plump pink lips.

"You're Jacob," her little voice tinkled. She smiled, her lips parting to reveal her perfect white teeth. She looked human and I could hear her little heart pounding in her chest, but she smelled just like the leeches around me.

"Renesmee, back away from the wolf," her father instructed.

"Mom said he would never hurt me, that he will love me," the spawn continued.

"Your mother shouldn't tell lies," I growled under my breath. Edward hissed at me and pushed his daughter behind him.

"Bella still thinks of herself as your best friend, Jacob," Edward said steely. "She was hoping that your friendship would survive this."

"She's an undead thing," I said. Renesmee frowned as she looked at me. "You have not decided how you're going to deal with these leeches?" I asked, ignoring the little demon seed behind him.

"We have yet to discuss it," Esme said in her own motherly voice. 'But we will be sure to let you know."

"That is, if you are willing to help us," Edward inserted.

I watched with laughter as his mother hit his arm.

"You don't have to do that, Jacob. We understand that your mate is your major concern," she said. "But it would mean a lot to us to know that you were willing to stand with us."

"I have to talk to my Pack," I said. "And get back to my imprint."

"We appreciate you coming here. You are welcome here any time," Carlisle said.

"Jacob!" I turned as the smell of leech intensified. It was Bella's hair and Bella's face, but those eyes were anything but hers. The were open wide and alive with the joy of seeing me. She took a step towards me but I just growled and backed away.

"Jacob, it's just me."

"It's not you anymore, Bella." Her face fell and looked a little broken. "I'm leaving, thank you for speaking with me." She was shouting at me, but I wasn't listening. I couldn't kill her, not if I wanted any leverage.

"Please Jacob!" A tiny hand wrapped around my arm and pulled me back. And I just... snapped.