Chapter LXXIII

Edward's genius idea was to narrate what was going on over at the battle. I think he thought that it would calm me and Bella. But it wasn't helping me.

"Yes!" he hissed. Seth began wagging his tail with excitement. Whatever was happening was good.

"What?" Bella asked, jumping closer to Edward.

"Paul and Emmet have taken a few down," he explained. "They were confused by the blood in the clearing."

"I told you it was a good idea," Bella said, grinning with pride. Oh good for her; now let's focus on the fact that Jake was fighting. "I told you that it would be good for -"

"Shut up!" I barked at her.

"He's fine, Ryanne," Edward assured me. Seth crawled a little closer to me, gently grabbing my jacket between his teeth and pulling me away from the leeches.

"No!" Edward snarled. Seth barked at me and pulled me down to his side, standing over me protectively.

"Didn't you think that I would figure out your little game?" a quiet voice said behind me. Seth wheeled around and snapped, his entire body shaking with anger. The voice was like the fake one of a the preppy high school girl that wanted to rip your mentality to shreds. She laughed.

"Victoria," Edward hissed while Bella screamed the name.

The redheaded, red-eyed vampire looked to me. "I think that we can both agree that it's about time we finished out little date," she said. Seth's threats rumbled in his chest.

"And you brought a guard dog," she laughed.

Seth couched over me, forcing me to curl into a ball.

"Riley," she called quietly. A boy I recognized from the papers walked out in front of us, his bright red eyes fixed on me.

"She smells delicious," the boy said, looking directly at me. Me breath hitched in my throat as he attempted to take another step towards me. Seth snarled and lunged at him, pushing him to the ground.

"Why don't we finish our conversation?" Victoria said, taking a step closer to me.

"Jake!" I screamed, fear coursing through my veins.

"Oh shut up, will you?" she said.

I looked to Seth, hoping that he was okay. He was wrestling on the ground, rolling over and over again as the monster and beast tumbled through the dirt. I had learned my lesson; I wasn't strong enough to fight these things off. "Jake!"

"She isn't the one that you want, Victoria," Edward said, effectively pulling the bitch's attention from me.

"I killed your mate, remember?" The redhead hissed, jumping away from me.

They circled each other like they had all the time in the world. I was sure that Edward was picking through her brain, focusing on her instead of anyone else. Bella was sitting on the ground a few dozen feet from the vampires that looked more like vultures. I couldn't help myself; I shoved up from my place to the ground and sprinted to my sister. I pulled her from the ground by her armpits moments before Riley got out of Seth's grasp.

His ice cold hand was so different from the warmth that I was used to. He wrapped a hand around my upper arm and flung me against the slate wall. Pieces of it shattered and and fell, clattering to the floor.

"Jake, please," I begged. He wouldn't hear me; he was focusing on something completely different. And he couldn't be here, not this time. Seth was whimpering a few feet away from me on the ground.

"Seth, are you okay?" I begged. He didn't say anything, didn't growl, didn't bark. He just continued whimpering.

"Seth?" I was almost crying now.