Chapter XLIX

Two weeks had passed and my life had fallen into an easy routine. I hated that my sister didn't seem to care about me. It hurt a little more than I let on, but Jake was right. He cared, the Pack cared, my dad cared. I wasn't going to be my sister and sit around and wait for someone to love me. She never would. I think it was because she was my sister that it hurt so bad. And it didn't help that she seemed to care so much about the Cullens.

Jake was sleeping, his head on my shoulder, as I drove him home from school. We still hadn't discussed what we were but Jake was too tired to talk about it. And I wasn't going push him while he was running patrols like a crazy person. The Blacks' little house came into view, Bella's truck sitting out front.

"Jake," I said, shaking his leg. "Jake, Bella's here."

He breathed in sharply and lifted his head off my shoulder.

"What's she doing here?" he asked groggily. I pulled my phone out, but I didn't have any texts from her or my father. I just shrugged, and jumped out of the car. Jake quickly pulled me behind him, testing the air quietly.

"What are you doing here, Bella?" he said cautiously.

"I can walk on my own," I said, pulling out of his arms a little. He growled down at me, but I just glared at him.

"You told me to come and see you, Jacob," Bella whispered, taking a step closer. "I just came to hang out."

Couldn't I just escape her? Couldn't I just have one place that was mine and Bella wasn't involved?

"I told her that she could down, Rye," Jake said quietly. Of course he did. I couldn't be mad; he didn't want her. Right? I just shrugged. Shrugging was blasé. No one could see your fears when you were shrugging.

"Let's just get in the house, guys," Jake said louder, walking hand in hand with me into the house.

Bella was glaring at me, but I didn't know why.

"Hey Bella," I said, walking into what was now my home. "How's everything going?"

"I think I need to apologize to you," Bella began quietly. Great; here we go with the innocent sister act. "I didn't mean to seem like I didn't care when I heard that Victoria attacked you. I was just surprised that she got to you and you got away. And I was relieved that you weren't really hurt." I turned to look at Jake who was looking confused, but somehow content with himself.

"I'm fine, Bella. Thanks for the concern. Jake, I'm going to head over to the Clearwaters'. I'll talk to you later," I said.

He followed me out of the house, whispering something to Bella as he passed by her.

"Are you okay?" He pulled gently to a stop.

I didn't know know how to answer him. How did you explain jealousy to someone who was going to think that you were being ridiculous? And he was probably right. Jake would never reject me. I knew that. But that didn't change the deep seeded jealousy that I felt towards my sister. She had been Jake's first love. No matter what the imprint changed about us, it would never change the fact that he had loved her first. So I wasn't okay. And the worst part was that I couldn't tell him.

"I'm fine; I just wanted to talk to Leah about Nate."

"Leah's on patrol," he said.

"I'll see if Sue needs any help. Leah was saying that she needed some help clearing out some of Harry's old things. I don't think Leah and Seth want to help with that," I added. He still looked unconvinced. "You said it yourself, you invited her down here. Hang out with her. I'll see you for dinner."