Chapter X

I was panting when we finally reached the front door. Dad's cruiser wasn't there. Yet. I had a moment of panic where I wondered what Bella was going to say. "See, now this is why I don't lie," I whispered as I searched for my keys. If we hadn't have lied to Dad, I wouldn't be wondering if Bella was going to tell him about the wolves. My problems would not exist if we had just been honest. Lies are the scissors that cut the strings of relationships! I finally found the house key and thrust it into the keyhole, grateful for the peaceful familiarity of the house. "Who was that Bella?" I asked.

"Just a friend of the Cullens," she replied, panting even harder than I was.

"He didn't sound very friendly," I said. Were the Cullens involved in some kind of sickly pale mafia?

"Yeah; it would appear he holds a grudge," she said with a shrug. I whirled around staring at her like she had lost her mind. Let's face it, Bella had lost her mind. She was going to be the death of me and I was just going to let it happen. Christ Almighty! What is wrong with me? "Don't worry about Laurent, Ryanne. I'm more concerned about those wolves."

"Looks like Dad was right when he forbade us from going into the forests," I said. I wasn't a goody-two-shoes, like Bella used to be. But my dad didn't have many rules for me. I was allowed to come home whenever I wanted, as long as I told him where I was, who I was with, and when I'd be home. I was allowed to drive anywhere I wanted, as long as he knew that I got there safe and sound. I was allowed to wear whatever I wanted, because let's face it, tank tops and sport bras didn't exactly scream sex appeal. I had no rules. So when my dad did make a rule; when he put his foot down and told me no about something, I listened.

"We have to tell Charlie, Rye," Bella said. I just continued looking at her.

"We don't have to tell Dad anything, Bella. You get to inform him that you took me captive and forced me to go on an all-day hike without food, where we ran into a psycho with dreads and a pack of colossal wolves. That is all on you, sister dear," I replied, turning my attention to the fridge. I didn't even want to think about dinner. I think there was a basketball game on somewhere. Maybe I could convince Dad to order in? Although, if Bella was going to tell him that we went hiking, he might not be in the mood for a game.

"Annie, please just help me out." I dropped the package of bacon out of my hands and turned back to her.

"There are only two people in the world who are allowed to call me that," I said. I knew my eyes were dark and my voice probably wasn't kind, but she had crossed a line. "And you're not one of them." I pushed myself passed her, ignoring her squeal when her ass hit the ground. I was done. Tomorrow I'd feel bad and probably apologize but for the moment, I was finished. I stomped up the stairs and threw my door shut, listening to the echoing slam. Chimes sounded behind me, bringing my attention to the open window.

"I know; I know," I said with impatience. "I need to control my temper. Sarah, I've really messed this one up. I don't know what I'm going to do." I sat on my bed, legs crossed, and hugged my pillow to my chest. "I'm sorry about what I said to Rebecca. I know that doesn't change anything, but I'm still sorry I said it. She just made me so mad, acting like I didn't realize that it was my fault. I made Billy so mad," I whispered, goosebumps running up and down my arms. "I knew that I'd made him mad when I said it, but I never thought he'd actually force me to stay away from Jake. I mean," I laughed, "I guess it's the other way around, but still." I looked out the window, watching movement in the trees. "I guess we know who disappointed you now."

I didn't cry; I wouldn't allow myself to cry. If I did, I was admitting that I still wasn't strong enough to deal with my life. I was trembling, quietly gasping for air, and clutching tightly to my pillow. I heard Dad shout at Bella. She'd probably told him that I went along with the whole thing. I didn't care at this point. I was done with life. My door opened, no knock, no question, nothing but footsteps. "Hey Beans," Dad said, settling on my bed. He hadn't called me 'Beans' since I was ten. "Bella said you guys went for a hike."