Chapter XCIX: Jacob's Point of View

The morning after the sentencing, which I wish that we had stayed to see, I woke up to the most perfect sight that someone could ever imagine seeing. Annie was curled up against my chest, using me like her own personal body pillow. And I wasn't going to complain about it. Murphy was gone, out of her life for good; out of the lives of countless other girls who could have become his victims.

It had been hard to watch her tell her story, but not nearly as hard as it had been to hold her every night for the last week. She had tossed and turned and grumbled under her breath. But that had been nothing compared to the tears that trickled down her cheeks in her sleep. I couldn't stop them, I couldn't soothe them away. In her dreams, she was being haunted and hunted by this man and I couldn't protect her. So getting her back home, hearing that he was gone for good; it made me a little less anxious about losing her to something.

Last night had been the first time in ages that she had gone to sleep and stayed asleep. She had pulled on one of my shirts, instead of the pajamas that she had been wearing the last few days, and curled up next to me in my tiny bed. She chatted on about something or another, but in truth I wasn't listening.

This was how our lives were meant to be. And while Annie and I weren't ready to get married quite yet, we were ready to live our lives without all the bullshit that currently ruled. I rested my head against her cheek. It hurt my neck, but it was good to have her right here.

Her black hair was a crazy tangle over her face, her pale skin contrasting so nicely with my own darker tones. I pulled it away from her face, wanting to see the lush lips, high cheek bones, and pert nose that haunted my every thought. She grumbled a little at the disturbance and nestled her face farther away from my hand. I had to get up, to get going on patrol. I had been gone for a week and had plenty of things that I had to make up for. With a gentle kiss to her forehead, I cupped her head in my hand and settled her down on the bed, tossing the extra blanket over her to keep her warm.

I breathed in the early morning air, shuddering as the cold air hit my skin. It felt even colder against my high temperature. I stretched a little, the small bones in my back cracking as I twisted and turned. I pulled my shirt off and tossed into the house before running off to the forest to phase.

Hey Jake, Embry called as soon as I was a wolf. How was Seattle?

As good as we could expect. Murphy got twenty-five in prison. Embry howled with glee.

Good, because we were all getting ready to kill him. Especially Paul; he kept going on and on about what he would've done if it had been Charlie. I could hear the conversation playing in Embry's head like I was standing their when it happened. There were times when the pack mind was a pain in the ass; when it was something that just drove you crazy. But there were other times that it was worth it. For coordinating attacks, it made it easier; we never gave anything away. And then there were things that all of us got to see, like Bella's face when she realized that I wasn't at her wedding.

Yeah, they're not back yet. Sam's getting antsy.

So long as they don't break the treaty on our land there's nothing that we can do. I just want to keep Annie safe you know? Embry didn't really say anything, just kind of fell silent, but I could feel his acceptance of what I was saying.

I, uh-I haven't told anyone yet, Jake, but I kind of imprinted, he whispered like someone would hear our thoughts if he wasn't quiet.

Dude, it's just you and me out here. You okay with the whole imprint situation?

It's Charlotte's cousin... Penn Rivers. I flinched involuntarily. Penn was known for being bad ass and a bitch, but other than that, we knew nothing about her. Yeah, she's a little scary.