"Oh, Ray, how wonderful to see you!"

Sighing, Ray started twisting the cord of her earphones to keep them back inside her bag.

"Morning."

But Holly was way too excited to notice the tired uninterested reply Ray had just given her.

"It wasn't what I would have suggested, but you seem good enough to express our cause. Now, let the kids be under Mauve's care, and you come with me."

"Uh, what?"

Holly only humphed and came forward herself,  pulling Ray up on her feet.

"Come along now."

A little confused, Ray followed her out of the class and down the stairs, running down to keep up.

"Is something wrong, Ms. Warren?"

Holly waited for Ray to climb down the remaining couple stairs to reach her, and then started walking again, talking excitedly.

"On the contrary, everything's perfect. Now, remember to express our cause. Keep the man happy. Oh, do be eloquent."

"What?"

"The happier you leave Mr. Knight, the stronger will be his belief to support our cause."

"Mr. Knight? Who...?"

Holly turned around and looked at her with shock.

"Mr. Knight, silly! Theodore Knight Junior. The man of our dreams, finally having descended off his throne to give us a little money."

Ray looked back at Holly with a frown.

"Ascent Industries! He was here two days back! What's wrong with you? Now I'm second guessing sending you. If he hadn't asked for you, I would have sent someone much more capable. Probably your sister. You've only been back for a couple of days, do you even remember much about us?"

Ray rubbed her face feeling frustrated. Of course she remembered things about this place. She'd left here only more than a year back. And of course, her sister would be a better candidate. She'd admit it honestly, Scarlett had been much more involved even back when she herself was a regular volunteer. 

"Um, why did he ask for me?"

"Well, previously I was supposed to meet him and talk things through once he got in touch, which he did today, but I cannot go today. I definitely cannot ask a man like him to change the date or anything blasphemous like that, so I asked him if he'd mind if instead of me one of our volunteers were to meet him. He agreed, but he also said that he would ask for someone specific. I agreed. Mr. Knight says you're the only one he remembers, so he'd like you to represent us. Was pretty descriptive, you were probably the only one with a lasting impression. Don't ruin it. Now, I wasn't about to say no to him, though you've only been back for a couple-"

"For a couple of days, yes."

 Holly nodded. 

"Yes. Once I understood you were the one he was talking about, I rushed up to get you, and here we are. Let's go to my office, I'd like to see how much you remember, and fill you in on some more."     

"But when are we meeting him?"

"You. You will be meeting him for dinner. Tonight. Now come on, here's my office."

****

Ray was panicking. Why did she feel like she was going for an exam? She had even noted down a few details on their orphanage, just in case she'd need them.