Sixteen

NICOLE

I slipped out of the coffee shop and started heading down the sidewalk, ignoring my phone buzzing once I'd noticed the texts were from Dad. He was probably paranoid about where I was and whether or not I was with Noah--but the fact that he was being so persistent with my grounding scared me a little. How would I ever be able to sneak out tonight?

Technically, though, he'd only specifically said I couldn't spend time with Noah, and I was going to Lauren's party for more reasons than just associating with my boyfriend. I thought about our date next week and started wishing I'd scheduled it for earlier; maybe I'd worry less about him seeing other girls if he and I actually went on an official date.

It was my fault, anyway, that we hadn't gone out for real yet. I'd wanted to enforce this plan, and all my transformations, and only now I saw that it had done me no good. After tonight, I'd have all my answers, and then I'd talk to Noah about going on our date early and all would be well.

I tried not to think of Troy, Kayla, Chloe, and everyone else I'd met this past week that I'd be leaving behind.

Instead of heading home, I took a right out of the shopping plaza and continued along the side of the small side street for a while until I ran into Mom's beauty salon. I let myself take one more long look at Nicole Thorn's reflection in the glass door at the front of the shop before stepping inside.

"Hey Nicole!" Mom's receptionist, Crystal, was behind the counter as usual, manning the phone and schedule. "Your mom's in the back. I think she's free right now."

I thanked her and passed the shelves of beauty supplies promising removed bags from eyes and elongated lashes in order to enter the main salon. Mom was sweeping hair off of the black mat underneath one of the salon chairs, her purple hair brighter than ever. I wondered if she'd recently had it recolored.

"Nicole, honey!" she exclaimed when she looked up and saw me standing in the middle of the room, breathing in the comforting smells of lavender and hairspray. "Ready for your makeover? I've been thinking about this so much, and I think I have the perfect face in my mind. Go on and sit down by the sink and we'll start on your hair."

Another look at Nicole in the mirror, and then I sat down where my mother had directed me. Even though this transformation was technically the same as all my others, it felt final. I had a feeling that once it was over I wouldn't be the same Nicole that I was before--but for once, that didn't scare me. I was ready for answers.

Mom emptied the hair from her dustpan into a nearby sleek silver trash can before heading over to me, humming. I squinted my eyes tightly shut as she turned on the water and began wetting my long dark hair, her hands gentle.

For the next few minutes, I focused on the scalp massage I was getting as my mother thoroughly washed my hair. Calming music was streaming from the overhead speakers and the water fountain in the corner of the room was trickling soothingly. For once, I felt completely at peace.

Only moments later, Mom tapped my shoulder to get me out of the chair and moved me over to one of the salon chairs facing a mirror. I sat down and let her drape a black cape around my shoulders.

"You're going blonde today, right?" she asked as she pulled out a hairdryer and plugged it in.

"Platinum." For some reason, I wanted to look as different from Nicole as I possibly could tonight.

Mom dried my hair until it was slightly damp and then ran a comb through it expertly, removing all the tangles. The music in the room had changed from classical to pop, matching my mood. I couldn't wait for my mother to unveil my new transformation, and for me to be able to be Hannah for the rest of the day.