Ten

AUDREY

Troy and I chatted a few more minutes before I thought to turn around and say anything to Ariana, Jazmin, or Chloe, and when I finally did address them, I noticed they'd fallen back several feet behind us. I called back to them and Chloe said, half-laughing, "We'll catch up with you guys later!"

She winked at me one more time before she and her friends disappearing, giggling, into the ice cream parlor Troy and I had just passed. The glass door slammed shut behind them before I had time to protest.

When I turned back to Troy, I saw that he'd stuffed his hands in his pockets again and was now shifting from foot to foot, watching me anxiously. Audrey's confidence flew out the window and I reciprocated his uncertain stare, my ankles wobbling in my wedges.

"So," Troy said finally, straightening his button-down. "Since I don't really feel like going to the store yet, would you mind keeping me company for another half hour or so?"

"Of course," I said, smiling. I'd been waiting for him to ask--actually, I'd been about to summon Audrey's inner courage that Nicole never seemed to have and ask him myself. After all, what harm would walking around the shopping plaza with a guy do? Anyway, even if Noah were somehow here, he'd never recognize me under my disguise.

We fell into step beside each other again, standing a little closer to each other than was strictly necessary on the sidewalk. Our shoulders brushed each others' every now and then, and I surprised myself by not shying away.

"So where do you go to school?" he asked, just as we were passing the little boutique where I'd met Chloe, Jazmin, and Ariana. I thought about them and how we'd exchanged phone numbers inside Juan in a Million, and how I wished I could stay in contact with them--but Nicole was their friend, not Audrey, and we'd likely never speak again except in passing in the hallways at school.

Thinking of school reminded me of Troy's question, and I realized I didn't have an answer. "Um, I'm homeschooled," I spat out quickly, tucking my hair behind my ear nervously. My stomach felt sick; somehow, lying to Troy felt worse than lying to Noah. Maybe it was because I knew Noah was lying to me, too, while Troy's intentions seemed completely pure.

"Oh. That's cool. Do you get to have school in your pajamas?"

"All the time," I lied, figuring it was best to go along with what he said since I had no idea what homeschooling was like, anyway. "It's great. Where do you go to school?"

He rattled off the name of our school's friendly rival and then added, "So, I don't know if you get out a lot, being homeschooled in all..."

I rearranged my features in what I hoped was an offended expression.

"No offense!" he added quickly, holding his hands up defensively. "I was just wondering if you wanted to go to a party on Saturday. Lauren's." He ran his hand through his hair. "Sorry, I forgot you don't know who Lauren is. She goes to--"

"I know who Lauren is," I spat, annoyed that everyone was making such an enormous fuss over Lauren's ridiculous party. What was the big deal, anyway? So what if I wasn't going? "And I can't go, sorry. I have family stuff."

I'd been so tempted to say yes, to show up to the party as Audrey instead of Nicole--but Noah would be there, and so would Morgan, and even though they wouldn't know I was ignoring them I would still feel awful.

"Oh." Troy was silent for a few seconds.

"I'd love to go!" I said, because he looked like he felt awful for asking. "It's just, I can't. Family in town and all that."

Like family would ever come in town to visit my parents who fought so much they'd probably stay out of the house all weekend to avoid each other. I'd probably be stuck babysitting little Nicholas, trying to assure him that everything was fine when our family life was literally falling apart at the seams.