CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

This must have been the roughest voyage for me yet, worried about Caspian every day as I was on the ship. I would even bring Mark to his room and let him sit on his bed so the toddler wouldn't feel left out with my little visits with him. He sat on his lap and was clapping with joy, unaware of Caspian's sickly expression and pale skin. He just enjoyed the attention he was finally getting from him.

At night I didn't even bother sleeping in another bed, instead I slept beside him. It was not only because I cared for him but I was once again beating myself up for being the reason he is in this condition. I wanted to make him better... the only way to do that is find the Room, destroy the keys, and hope for the best.

One day I decided to leave him alone as he slept and make it up to the deck, and just standing there and looking out at the ocean brought back old memories. Memories of the past in the past. Ironic, huh?

I was thinking about Mary and us talking a long time ago.

"My father is in that room," Symbolically, but still. "I need to get back to him."

"Why the need to return so quickly?"

"Because he's my father," I sighed. "And I haven't really been the best daughter. I just need to find him and go back home. I miss my home."

"Aye," He nodded. "What is your definition of home, lass?"

I looked at him again, confused. "What?"

"A simple question," His grin quickly faded away. "What is your definition of home?"

"Um..." I thought about it for a second. "A house? A hut? Isn't that home?"

He shook his head, disappointed with the answer. "Nay, lass. Home is where the heart is," He pointed to his chest with his thumb, pushing his hip away from the side of the ship. He smiled largely, "My home is out here in the vast blue salty sea."

I laughed, now I was the one shaking my head, "It might be so for you. But I just want to get back to my own home."

He shrugged, "We all of our own idea of paradise. This is mine," He winked. Which I found his wink a bit off, not like the kind of wink a normal manly guy would make.

Before I could think about it deeper, he turned and walked away.

I smiled at the memory. I miss you so much, you crazy bastard.

I inhaled the salty air into my lungs... I missed this far more than I cared to acknowledge before. It would all be over soon... this whole journey. One way or another it will end soon, I waited seven years. Seven long years.

Best years of my life.

William seemed to catch hold of my thinking expression and approach me curiously. "What are you thinking about, Ria?"

"I don't think I can go back..." I decided to tell him straight. There was no point hiding what was in my heart. "Not after etching myself so deep in this world. All the things I've done, every choice I made. I... I can't go back..." I looked down at my feet sadly.

"Be careful what you choose, Ria," he spoke more vigilantly than angry, his voice soft. "Is this what you really want?"

I nodded, "More than anything."

"You realize that there are no phones here, no TV, there is not even a stable government yet. For America that is if you wish to be there which I do not recommend. There are also no planes nor tap water."