Auston Matthews - Part Twenty-Three

My mom leaves me staring after her with a dumbfounded expression on my face. Wha... what? I look absentmindedly around my room, at a complete loss of what to do and seeing the time glaring back at me, decide to just get into bed. I call my two pups into the room and snuggle down into my covers with them on either side of me, my two little personal heaters.

My mind wanders to Auston, I don't have to wonder what he's currently doing because my phone is still going off at regular intervals of pictures of him sent by either Marner, Nylander or one of the other several player who seem to have my number now. Auston sends me them too, though his aren't every thirty seconds. My phone vibrates from a text and I swipe down for look at it.

R u awake?

I smile when I see who it's from.

Nope, sleep texting

Smartass

How was dinner?

I don't really think u need to ask that. U were pretty much there with all the snapping.

True, your chicken looked delicious

I didn't send you any pictures of my chicken

I know

Jesus. Is there anything they didn't send you?

Nudes

There's a minute before he responds and I wonder if I went too far. Then the little bubbles pop up and I relax.

Thank god for that, I would hate killing my best friends.

I giggle and roll onto my back, my eyes are getting tired.

Well they r safe for the night

Ur getting tired

How do u know that?

U never abbreviate words or forget punctuation

Oh

Go to bed

No

Ok

I'm going to bed

Then y did u say no???

Don't tell me what to do

I giggle again when he sends me a bunch of the exasperated emojis.

Night Auston

Night Y/N

I stare at my screen for a few moments, my heart fluttering against my ribs and I try to figure out why. There wasn't really any flirting, just conversation yet my heart is beating like he really did send me nudes. I click my screen off and shove my phone under the pillow, determined to fall asleep without thinking about the stupid boy.

Two days pass a lot faster than I would have thought possible. Now I'm standing outside the house I grew up in, looking at all the grandness of it one more time before I get into my waiting car, with a trail of my parents SUV a handful of family and friends, all with their cars packed to the brim as well and a hauling truck bringing up the rear. My parents are in their respective vehicles, letting me have my moment. We had said our goodbyes last night.