Chapter 2: Obeservations

7/21/13

1455 EST

Decatur, GA

"C'mon!! Push it!!! Push it!!"  Gretchen von Kirst yelled.  "You don't get better by watching events unfold, you have to be proactive in your approach!!!"  She was visibly angry.  "No, no, NO!!!  Again!!"

From the observation deck Jameson watched his comrade train San Diego County SWAT operators in advanced room clearing.  He was joined by Wilson.

"Sounds like Easy's on a tear today."  Wilson observed.

"Yup."  Jameson replied.  "She's pushin' 'em too hard."

"C'mon skip,"  Wilson said while watching Easy continue to bark at her trainees. "We went through the same thing when Havoc trained us.  It was part of his job to be that hard on us."

"Yeah."  Jameson said sardonically.  "But I don't remember Havoc being a dick."

Wilson chuckled.  "Wrong.  Havoc was a dick, you don' r'member 'cause you an' Havoc are the same person."

Jameson laughed, and lightly punched his friend in the shoulder, which drew a rueful grin from Wilson.  They both continue to observe Easy train her charges for another hour, then watched as she stomped off to the observation deck, towards them.  They watched and smiled as she came in the door and sat down dramatically in front of them, and shook her head.  When she looked up she saw the two men smiling at her.

"What is funny?"  She asked.

"You."  Wilson grinned.  "You gon' kill dem po' boys out there."

"They need to get it right Veezy"  She countered.  "In the field, you don't get a second chance, and if there are hostages in the room, how that room is entered and cleared makes huge difference.  You know this."

"We know it."  Wilson said taking a more serious stance.  "But those guys are still  green.  Maybe a more subtle approach might work, it don' help t' try. Not everybody get it perfect th' first time." 

"But they need to be perfect, even more so when lives are at stake Veezy!!"

"I undastand that, but you gotta find a betta way of gettin' th' concept across to 'em Easy."

She looked at Wilson, then Jameson, and then Wilson once more.  She shrugged her shoulders.

"Don' worry Gretch, you doin' fine, you jus' have to find a different approach.  Try teaching the concept of room clearin, teach 'em the different entry methods, the positionin' for each method, the option of smoke, frag, or 'bang, and the positionin' during the entry, an' what to do after the room is clear."

She looked at Wilson, and smiled.  "You always know how to make a girl feel good Veezy.  Is that the Southerner in you?"

"Yes an' no"  Wilson smiled back.  " I'm not this charmin'.  Ask my daughter, Janecia."

Jameson and von Kirst laughed.  Wilson had a serious look on his face.  He saw Big, Tiger, Ace, and Spank walk into the observation deck.

"All done boss." Big said. 

"What do they think about the 416?" Jameson asked.

"Solid weapon system.  The rail system gives them a lot of options as to how they wanna enhance the weapon,  it's all weather capabilities makes it very reliable.  I think they are sold boss.  Do we go through our usual contact at HK?"

"Not yet."  Jameson answered.  "Let's give them another day to test it, most of the operators in that group use M4s, only one guy uses the '16."  Referring to the M16a4 assault rifle he saw one of the operators bring into the facility.

"Kay boss, no prob."

7/21/13

1525 EST

Marietta, GA

"The head?"  Donnelly asked.

"Yes."

"Why the head?  He was dead from the two chest shots.  Was this at close range?"

"Extremely."

"Shot with?

"7.62 x 39 slugs."

"Lot of weapons use that cartridge.  Primarily Soviet."  Donnelly observed sardonically.

"Probably and AK-74, '47 or the Groza 1"  Connally said without much thought.  "The headshot is what is most curious.  That was a .40 cal hollow point round, illegal in several states, including Georgia.  You think they may have been trying to send a message?"

"Probably."  Donnelly said.  "The question is to whom.  Was anything taken?"

"No.  Connally said in a dry voice.  "A laptop, tablet and a smartphone were uncovered in a dresser."

"We're gonna need those, and fast."  Donnelly surmised.  "What's on them could be a key to unlocking two mysteries: what he knew and why he was killed.  Where are they now?"

"Last report said Dekalb County Police have the items."

"And they were probably taken to the station over on Memorial Drive."  Donnelly closed his eyes for a second.  "I'll it take from here Sean.  I have a computer guys that work in the FBI field office in Atlanta, and they do consult work for me from time to time.  Wait one."  Donnelly, still holding his company cell phone and dialed another number from his personal cell phone. "Capshaw, this is Donnelly, are you and Davidson available to do a job for me?  Yeah, the usual fee plus one thousand for both of you.  I need it ASAP.  Dekalb County Police department.  No, the other one on Memorial Drive.  Laptop, tablet and smartphone.  Nope.  See if you can find a back door as well. "  He paused.  "The usual method.  Make sure it is encrypted.  Thanks.  Keep me in the loop."  Donnelly hung up his cell phone and breathed heavily.  "All right Sean, we should be able to get these items within the next two to three days."

"How soon can you team get the data we are looking for?"  Connally asked.

"Give me a week and a half."

"These guys are that good?' 

"They are."

"Good.  Keep me in the loop.  Use the normal transmission method."

"One question."  Connally asked

"What's that?"

"Ikejari Tenju was trained by you?"

"Yeah."

"Was he-?"

"No."  Donnelly said immediately.  "He was dedicated to his country, his people, and his countries allies.   He was a respected member in our tighknit community."  His voice lowered.  "He was like a son to me."

"Aye, that he was."  His Scottish counterpart said quietly.  "Don't worry Carl, we'll ge the bastards who did this.  Be safe, and sorry t' disturb ya.  Tell my Goddaughter I said hi, and congratulations."

Donnelly smiled.  "Thanks, and I will."