Chapter 12: Approaches

11/23/2013

1000a EST

Atlanta, Ga

Laverne had just had her second cup of coffee when she felt an earth shattering rumble and then a loud noise.

“What the hell?”  She asked.

“Sounded like an explosion.”  Stacee Cumberland said as she walked over to the East window.

“It looks normal out here Verne.  Not a cloud in the sky.  “Just a beautiful fall day in-“She noticed two plumes of thick black smoke.  An icy ball formed in the pit of her stomach.

“Holy shit!!!”  Cumberland said.  “That’s near the Buckhead area!!!!   Verne check the bands!!!”  Instinctively Laverne powered up her computer system, and tuned in to the local Police and Fire bands.

“Damn Stacee.”  Two massive explosions were reported in the Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza.  AFD and APD are converging on the scene.  A lotta 911 calls in regards to casualty reports.  I emailed Capshaw and Cortez.  They were both en route.  There are gonna be a lotta dead and hurt people out there.  My God.  This was the start of the Christmas shopping season.  Jesus!!!!  Look Stacee.”  She turned on the T.V.   She looked as silent tears rolled down her face, as she collapsed on the chair, her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Mom?  Mom?  What’s going on?”  A frantic teenager said over the phone.

“Mallorie?  Mallorie?  Are you okay?  Where’s your father?”

“I’m fine mom.”  Her voice shook as she spoke.  “Dad’s okay EMTs are looking at him now.  Wha?”  She paused.  “Okay.  Mom, they are taking dad to the hospital.  He has a mild concussion, and a dislocated shoulder.”  Laverne gasped.  “I’m going with.  I love you mom.”

“I love you too.  Let me know what happens.”  She disconnected her phone.

“Was that Mallorie?”  Cumberland asked.

“Yeah.”

“Everything okay?”

“For the moment.  JT’s got a concussion and a dislocated shoulder.”

“Glad to hear that.”  Cumberland patted her longtime friend on the back and gave her a big hug.  “Love you girl.”    Just then Cortez and Capshaw walked into the office.

“Did we interrupt a Kodak moment?”  Capshaw joked.

Laverne punched Capshaw in the shoulder.  “Funny guy.  Look at the T.V.”

Capshaw looked at the T.V., and sighed heavily.

“Damn.  This is the busiest shopping day of the year.  The loss of life is gonna be ridiculous, and Donnelly is gonna be pissed we missed this.”

“What could we do?”  Cortez shrugged.  “This was planned well in advance.  This was hidden perfectly, and in plain sight.”

Capshaw grumped in agreement.  “You might be right, but he’s still gonna be pissed.”  Just then his cell phone started ringing. 

“Sir?”

“What the hell is going on??” Donnelly asked.  “I turn on the Goddamned TV and I see two destroyed buildings!!!!  I thought you guys were on top of this shit!!!!”

Capshaw inhaled sharply and deeply.  “Sir there wasn’t much we could really do.  This was something that had been planned well in advance.  Most of this was more than likely done in plain sight, with a small amount of subterfuge.”

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Mar 05, 2014 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

The Unseenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें