20: The Other Secret

A/N: We just hit #69 in ChickLit! What a perfect ranking ;) 

This chapter was a bit difficult to write but I hope you enjoy reading it nonetheless. We're almost at the end! 

ENJOY xo

The light streamed in and I groaned as I lifted myself from the couch. My legs were entangled with Bruce's. We had fallen asleep on the couch and my whole body ached from the awkward position Bruce and I fell asleep in.

I winced when I tried to get up and my movement made Bruce stir. Moments later his eyes peeled open and he looked at me sideways. His groggy gaze met mine before he groaned and flopped his back onto the couch.

"We fell asleep on the couch," Bruce said, draping an arm over his eyes.

"Thanks for stating the obvious," I retorted, rolling my eyes before I craned my neck in a different direction to get rid of the knot there. When that didn't work I disentangled my legs from Bruce's and got up from the couch.

"Hey, where are you going?"

"To brush and then make some breakfast," I replied, taking a look at my boyfriend. Something in me felt conflicted—I shouldn't prolong this. I should just rip the plaster off but I couldn't. Just looking at him from this perspective made my heart throb with sadness, pity and slight guilt. He looked devastated. He had a slight stubble, his black hair was a mess and his eyes looked raw against the caramel colour of his skin. He looked completely wrecked.

"I'll make breakfast," he offered and I quickly jumped in.

"No, that's okay. You just brush your teeth and take a shower. I'll make us breakfast."

His hand brushed against mine as he peered up at me. "Thank you, Madilyn," he whispered throatily. "Thank you."

I shook my head, running a hand through his hair before pulling his head forward. He pressed his head to my abdomen and I gave his shoulder a squeeze. "I'll be here as long as you need me. I promise."

His lips kissed my stomach. "I love you, Madilyn Adair."

I only squeezed his shoulder in response again because I couldn't find it in myself to betray him any longer. "I know," I whispered.

* * * * *

Breakfast was tense with silence.

I didn't have to be a mastermind to know that something was wrong. Bruce sat there by the kitchen island, mindlessly stirring his scrambled eyes with a silver fork. He wasn't eating and his mind was far away.

I frowned as I reached out and enclosed my hand around his. My touch brought him back from whatever deep reverie he had sunken into. His gaze lifted to mine, guilt swimming wildly within those chocolate brown eyes of his and he drew his hand back before placing his elbows on the countertop of the kitchen island before burying his head in his hands.