Chapter 24

Tris POV:

I watch him sleep on his stomach, one of the habits he must've gotten used to after all those beatings. His breaths are even, but he fidgets in his sleep. I get up, squinting at the bright morning light. My mouth is dry and my hair is in tangles. I grab a ponytail holder and tie my hair into a messy bun.

The cold air makes my bare legs shiver, as I'm only in one of Tobias's t-shirts. I decide to make a pot of coffee, as today is a very big day. After much pleading, Tobias finally agreed to go look at therapy dogs. His social skills have definitely been deteriorating, and he doesn't leave the house except for doctors appointments. The therapist thinks that having a therapy dog will help him feel more protected into venturing into the real world.

I feel two arms wrap around my waist, making me jump. A voice chuckles in my ear.

"Jumpy this morning, are we?" I roll my eyes and turn around. Two deep blue orbs stare back at me, making my whole entire body feel like a fireball. I press a small kiss to his lips.

"You ready for today?" He sighs, shaking his head.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I rub his bare shoulders, and he presses a small kiss to my forehead.

"C'mon, we need to get ready."

-

-

-

We pull up outside the service dog shelter. A large sign shows an outline of a dog and a man standing together like a statue. Tobias pulls his coat closer around him as he slams the door of the cab shut.

"We're gonna have to call an Uber when we get him," I say quietly. He nods.

"If we find the right one," he mutters. I shoot him a look and he puts his hands up in defense.

We quickly enter the building, and the sound of barking fills our ears. A friendly woman at the front desk greets us.

"Hi, there! my name is Lauren, Welcome to Second Hope. We specialize in Therapy dogs, Seeing Eye dogs, you name it!" Her bright, cheery mood is making me feel sick. I have to resist rolling my eyes as I answer.

"Hi, we're here to register for a therapy dog for Sergeant Eaton, we have an appointment." She nods and begins clicking away on her computer.

"Alright, right this way Sergeant we can show you around. Mrs. Eaton I'll need you to fill out some paperwork after we're done." I begin to stutter, and Tobias smirks.

"I'm not...We just. I'm.."

"We actually are boyfriend and girlfriend," Tobias says. She laughs.

"I'm sorry, you two just look so cute together I just assumed." She lets out another laugh as she leads us through a pair of double doors.

Behind the doors are several glass cages that contain varying breeds of dogs. Lauren walks us in an out of each row, explaining the different types of each dog.

"Now, personally, I think that a black lab would be good for therapeutic use, but some people prefer beagles or retriever. Now, depending on the size you want, we can-" she stops, suddenly frowning."

"Ma'am? Where is your boyfriend?" I turn around, finally noticing that Tobias is not with us.

"Tobias?" I call, panic spreading in my chest. Without thinking, I take off in the direction we just came in, weaving in and out of the rows of cages.

"Tobias!" I call louder. I run down one more row before coming to an abrupt stop. Tobias sits on the floor. His hand is on the glass, and A German Shepard is pawing at him through the thick plastic screen. Tobias turns to me and smiles.

"Him."

Sorry I haven't updated. I've been super busy and I haven't had any time!