Chapter 9

Tris POV:

I wake in his arms, the smell of his scent filling my nose. I sigh and snuggle closer to him. His eyes slowly start to open and he faces me.

"Morning." He whispers. I respond by burying my fave in his neck and letting out a grunt. He laughs and wraps his arms around me.

"Any nightmares?" He whispers. I shake my head. Since being with him, the nightmares have almost diminished. He sighs.

"As much as I want to stay here with you today, I have to get to work, and you have to get to the studio." I roll my eyes and trace patterns in his chest.

"Are you sure?" I mutter. He intakes a deep breath.

"The Marines prepared me for all kinds of touture , but definitely not this." He groans. I laugh and get up, stretching my sore muscles. He flops back onto the covers and lets out a whine. I shake my head, stretching my arms over my head . He rubs my lower back and lets out a sigh.

"Should I meet you here after work?" He asks. I nod my head and lean over to kiss him. He cups my face before pulling away.

"Go, before I pull you right back in this bed!" He says jokingly. I laugh. Grabbing my clothes, I quickly change in the bathroom. When I get out, he's wearing his uniform with a jacket over it. I fix his collar, and he wraps his arms around my waist.

"We've got to go." He rolls his eyes.

"Fine, lets go." We head downstairs and walk towards his motorcycle outside. Swinging my legs over the seat, he climbs on in front of me. I wrap my arms tightly around his waist. He laughs and the engine roars to life.

-
-
-
I kiss him quickly as he comes to a rest at my store. He grins before pushing off of the curb and heading off the street. I quickly unlock the store front and turn on the lights. The paintings come to life and the frames cast shadows as I make my way around, turning all the lights.

I head back to my studio, where my most recent painting sits. A portrait of Tobias fills the canvas, his face looking at something in the distance as he is dressed in his Marine Formal. I sigh and pick up my brush, starting to work on some of the finer details.

As I'm working on the detailed pattern of the uniform, the bell at the front the rings. I put my brush down and wipe my hands on a rag.

Making my way to the front, I put on a smile.

"Hi, how can I- GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY STORE!" I shout. Eric stands against the counter, looking at some glass blown figurines. He looks up and smirks.

"Always good to see you too." I glare, and step closer to the counter.

"Get out before I call the police, you're banned." He shrugs.

"I won't tell if you won't." I let out a frustrated sigh. He picks up a figurine of what looks like a wave frozen in midair.

"Listen Tris, I came to talk about Eaton. Trust me, he's not worth your time." I scoff.

"I think I can tell the right sort for myself, thanks." He glares.

"Why are you so damn stubborn?" He growls.

"Private Matthews, is there an issue?" A rough voice says. We both turn to see my dad. Eric immidietly straightens up.

"No Sir. Just having a discussion with Beatrice." My father glares.

"I guess the discussion is over. Now get out before I have you dishonorably discharged faster than you can say sir." Eric glares. He makes his way to the door before turning to me.

"Almost forgot." He takes the figurine in his hand and throws it to the ground. It shatters, bits of glass flying everywhere. I let out a strangled noise, mostly out of surprise and anger. My dad starts to advance as Eric speed through the door and down the street.

"Don't." I call. He turns around and his eyes soften.

"I'm sorry sweetie. You can make another one right?" I nod my head as a lump forms in my throat.

"Mom always liked the glass ones." I whisper. He looks at his shoes.

"I know sweetie." I grab a pan and dust broom and begin sweeting up the bits of glass, smaller tears working their way down my face.

You may think I might be over reacting, but words can't describe how much I miss my mom. She was my rock, she was a piece of me. And I can't go a day without missing her. She won't get to see me get married, or meet her grandkids. And it breaks my heart.

I finish cleaning up and dump all the pieces in the garbage. I turn to him.

"I know we had lunch, just give me a few-"

"Nope, you're going home. I'll set you up with a movie and a blanket, and we can do lunch tomorrow." I'm about to protest when he raises his hand.

"Nope. Besides I have to go oversee training in an hour. The boys are practicing at the harbor for retrieve and rescue." I wrinkle my nose.

"In mid-December? Seems a little harsh." He shakes his head.

"They need to be prepared for all types of weather. Besides its not that cold." I raise an eyebrow and he laughs.

"Can you check on Tobias? I know he's leading the training today." He nods. We head to the car and make our way to my apartment.
-
-
-
"Tris, wake up." A voice whispers. I slowly open my eyes as Tobias's face comes into view. I must have fallen asleep. I notice he has a small cut above his eyebrow and a scratch in his cheek.

"Jesus, what happened?" I say, sitting up and pulling him down next to me. I carefully put my hand on his face and turn it towards me so I can see the cut better.

"I'm fine, I just scraped my head on a rock." He says with a dry laugh. I shake my head.

"Reckless Soldier." I take his hand and lead him into the bathroom. Sitting in the sink, I take out a box of disinfectant and begin to clean the cut. He wines and brings his hand up to mine.

"Stop complaining." I mutter. He waits patiently as I clean it.

"Can I at least have a kiss?' He asks with his eyebrows raised. I roll my eyes and lean in, giving him a quick peck. He looks at me with puppy eyes. I kiss him again, this time a little longer. I pull back and toss him a towel.

"Get in the shower, you stink like fish." He gives a good hearted groan and shuts the bathroom door