Chapter 6

Tobias POV:

The ride back to her apartment was amazing, with her grabbing my waist tightly, and her laughs of joy echoing in my ear. When I finally pull in front of the brownstone with her address on it, I can't repress a sigh of disappointment. She laughs in my ear once again.

"Don't be so sad, I'll see you tomorrow." She takes off the helmet and hands it to me, her hand windswept and sexy. She shoves her hands in her pockets and shudders against the cold. In mid-December, the air is frigid. She pushes a lock of hair out of her face.

"So, I'll see you at 6, right here?" She asks. I smile and nod. She leans over and places a kiss on my cheek. My face grows warm, and I can't help but let a grin spread its way across my face. She blushes.

"See you tomorrow ." I whisper. She nods and heads to the front steps. I let out a whoop as I start my bike and push off. She laughs in the background and I watch her head into the building. As I make my way through the streets, my mind can't stop wandering to her. I absolutely can't wait.
-
-
-
The day flies by, and I attempt to bury myself in some much needed paperwork, but my mind keeps drifting back to Tris. I can hardly sleep at all as I toss and turn, until finally I just give up and head to the gym. The next morning, I run around and make some calls, arranging everything so tonight is perfect.

I smooth down my shirt as I wait anxiously outside her front door. Rocking back and forth on my feet, I ring the buzzer next to the door. Her voice answers through it two second later.

"On my way down." I grin and shove my hands in my pocket. The snow is falling gently on the ground around me, as well as sticking in my hair. She opens the door a minute later, dressed in a green shirt, black leather jacket and dark jeans. She looks casual, but good.

"Wow. You look great." I whistle. She laughs and ruffles my hair, snow catching on her fingers.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I catch her hand and hold it, pulling her closer out the door. She shuts it and I lead her to a car parked in front.

"Compliments of the Pedrads." She lets out a laugh.

"Did you make sure it was clean first." I smile and nod. Opening the door for her, I hand her into the front seat.  I go around and climb in the drivers side. She turns and smirks at me.

"So, Soldier, where are we going?" I smile and shake my head.

"You'll have to wait and see." She groans, and I snort out an unattractive laugh, which just causes her to laugh harder. We start the car. I drive for a few minutes, and we talk about simple things. I get to listen to her rant about a complex art piece she's doing for a museum, and the bitchy curator she's had to deal with. Somehow, the discussion of our parents comes up.

"Since my mom died, I don't know I've just been in this slump." She says exasperated. I nod, and my hands grip the steering wheel a little tighter.

"My mom died too." She must notice my tone of voice. I expect her to start asking questions. But she stays silent. I glance at her confused.

"You're not gonna ask..."

"I can tell it's a sensitive subject. I get that it's not easy to talk about. But I know you'll tell me someday." She says calmly. My body fills with gratitude. Without thinking, I reach over and grab her hand, lacing her fingers with mine. She squeezes my hand in response. My body fills with warmth and comfort.

Pulling over, she looks out the window, her eyes lighting up.

"Paintball?"

-
-
-
I duck behind a barrier as Tris shoots another paintball at me. I curse silently. Daughter of such a high ranking military officer, of course she knows how to shoot. I fire a paintball at her that she narrowly misses.

"Keep trying Soldier!" She yells. I let out a small chuckle. Suddenly, a sharp pain fills my  lower backside.

"Yes!" She shouts. The little shit shot me in the ass! She runs over and grabs my arm, pulling me to my feet. Pulling off her helmet, she grins.

"How's that for a first date." I shake my head.

"Both my ass and my ego are severely bruised." She lets out a laugh.

"Tell you what, I'll buy you a hot chocolate to make up for it." I let out a fake huff.

"If you insist." We head to snack bar, where she proceeds to order two hot chocolates. We take them outside and begin to walk up the street.

We continue to Central Park, laughing and making jokes. I pull her towards a bench and we sit. She looks up and sighs.

"I really like you, Four." I smile.

"I like you too." I go to reach for her hand but she pulls back. She looks me straight in the eye.

"I told you before I'm complicated. There's a lot to me that a lot of people don't know." She takes a deep breath.

"When my mom died, I kind of fell into these... episodes. Panic attacks. And they were ugly, and sometimes I still get them. And I have these nightmares from time to time, bad ones, the kind where you wake up screaming. And I just don't want to have you deal with that. I can't hurt another person in my life." Her eyes glitter and she wipes her nose. I notice she's shivering so I take off my jacket and wrap it around her shoulders. Quietly, I take her hand in mine, looking down at my shows soaked in snow. She glances up at me.

"My mom died when I was 15. My dad, he was pretty abusive. He was a politician, and he took out a lot of anger from work on my mom and I. I still have scars that he gave me, on my back. It's just a constant reminder, I can't get rid of him no matter how hard I try.

When I was 15, I came home from school one day to find her in puddle of her own blood. She wasn't breathing, and I started screaming. I can't remember what happened, but I blacked out. When I woke up she was gone. He told me she died, but I knew the truth. He finally took it too far, she couldn't handle it. He killed her. He may not have pulled the trigger, but I know he pushed her to that point.

I joined the Marines at 18, right after high school. During training, I competed the obstacle course in 4 minutes flat. Hence the nickname. My real name is...Tobias. I love my job. It became my new life, my home. My safe place." I finish and look at her. Her eyes don't show the pity I'm used to. Instead, they show awe.

"You... You're amazing." She breathes out. I shake my head.

"I ran from my problems." She turns my head to look at her. Our faces are inches apart.

"No, you didn't. You solved them. And that is the bravest thing you have done." I feel her breath on my face.

"I really want to kiss you." I whisper. She smiles.

"Then do it." I place my hand on her neck and pull her lips to mine. Her hands find my dog tags and she pulls me closer. I wraps my arms around her and pull her close. She sighs my name and I grin.

I've found another safe place.

Merry Christmas! As a Christmas Present, there will be two very long chapters published today!