Chapter 22

Tris POV:
Time passes slowly. People drift in and out of the apartment all day bringing various kind of foil wrapped food, while I lay on the couch covered in a blanket. Christina stays with the me the entire day, only leaving to go to the store. She returns with a bottle of wine, and we spend the evening drinking. The alcohol has no effect, it just makes me feel numb.

A day turns into three. Then a week. I go to the studio, but all I can paint is him. His image fills canvases big and small. I end up with nearly seven paintings by the end of the day.

It doesn't come until the third week. As I'm unlocking the door to the apartment, someone calls my name.

"Tris!" The voice says loudly. I turn to see my dad, waiting by an open taxi. My heart sinks.

"Daddy, please don't say it-" He sighs and holds up a hand.

"Get in the car Beatrice." I tremble as I make my way down the stairs. He lets me slide into the car as he slams the door behind me. He climbs into the front and the taxi takes off. I slide the plastic screen forward.

"Dad please tell me where we are going. I'm begging you." I plead. He clears his throat.

"The hospital."
-
-
-
He was talking to me when the invasion came. As he camp was surrounded, they kept calling for the leader, saying they would kill everyone if the leader didn't step forward. Tobias went in Amar's  place, and he was take to a POW camp. They beat him and had him do harsh physical labor. He ended up escaping, walking over 20 miles back to he camp, where he was then transferred to the hospital.

I rush through the white hallways of the hospital with my dad trailing close behind me. I end up at the front desk.

"Four Eaton! What room is he? I'm his girlfriend." The bored nurse looks up at me before looking his name up on his computer.

"Floor 7, room 6. But I should warn you its not a pretty sight-" I'm off before she finishes her sentence. I run to the elevator, frantically pressing on the buttons. My dad comes up huffing next to me as the door slides open. We slip in and I punch the seventh button. As we ride up, my dad turns to me.

"I know how much you will want to jump into his arms, but you need to be cautious. He is severely injured and very unstable. So take it easy. " I nod, and the elevator stops. When the doors slide open. I take off again. I reach his room in a matter of seconds, but I hesitate at the door. My dad nods.

"Go on in, I need to go see some of the other men." I twist the door handle, quietly slipping into the room.

He lays in the bed, his eyes shut. Scratches are covering his face and his arms, as well as a plump lip that looks like he was in a prize fight.He groans at the click of the door.

"I already told you I don't want anymore fucking jello." He moans. I laugh, tears clouding my eyes.

"I think I'm a little better than jello." His eyes fly open, and find me. He struggles to sit up, gasping for air.
"Tr-Tris." I hurt to his side, pushing him back down. His eyes are misty and he struggles to form words.

"Shhhh. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere." I say calmly, cupping his cheek. I bend my head down, and our lips collide. He clutches at my hand and grips it in his. When we pull away for breath, his cheeks are shinny.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I couldn't let him go, I owe that man everything, and I knew I could make it back. We needed a leader. And he-" I cut him off.

"I don't care. I don't fucking care. You are alive and with me and that's all I want. I'm not letting you go again." He slides over, allowing room on the bed.

"C'mere." I cautiously climb on, careful of his wires. He wraps an arm around me, and I burry into his side.

"I love you." He whispers. I let out a shaky laugh as my eyes fill up again.

"You too, Soldier.

Hope you guys are enjoying! More to come.